Morphed Axolotls

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TallTree01

Coo, Man
Reaction score
I have always wanted a pet salamander. Unfortunately, it is not legal for salamanders to exist in Australia. But get this, it is legal to have a metamorphosed axolotl ( Abystoma mexicanum ) .
I have found morphed axolotls for sale online.
Has anyone kept morphed axies before?
What are their care requirements? ( tank size, water/ land amounts, humidity, temperature etc etc)
I've read that once morphed, axolotls only live > 2 years. Any truth to this?
Any pics or vids of morphed axolotls would be much appreciated also.

Thanks

TT I asked someone who breeds axies, he said that yes it does start their death clock ticking, and he doesn't recommend keeping them as they can stop eating & waste away after morphing.

Mm, I figured as much. :-(
Ah well, I guess I'll have to move. :lol:
Tell your mate thanks. I'm glad he's confirmed my suspicions and saved some poor axolotl from a shortened life. :)

Will do, I'm sorry you can't get one! They're so cute.

Morphed axolotls also does not look as appealing as the aquatic forms. If you plan on getting a morphed one, you migh as well get a real salamander which could live another 5-10 years. Aquatic adult axolotls are like dogs in a tank full of water. Care for properly, you'll be together for a decade or more :D

Now i'm curious, does Australia have native salamander species?

No we have no native salamander species, nor do we have newts and I am pretty sure there are no feral populations of either species as well (which is surprising since we have so many feral everything else)  but we do have quite a few frog species.

Baccus said:
No we have no native salamander species, nor do we have newts and I am pretty sure there are no feral populations of either species as well (which is surprising since we have so many feral everything else)  but we do have quite a few frog species.
Ohhh.. so that's why a long-lived aquatic axolotl is illegal. I fully understand your government since you already have your hands full with your other amphibian (cane toads) and aquatic (bull sharks and tilapias) problems.

It has always been my dream to do some herping in australia. Everything you have in virtually anywhere is either cute (gliders & stump-tailed skinks) or lethal (your top 5 deadly snakes and funnel-webs) that's why i love it there :D

Actually bull sharks are a native here, so cant be called an illegal feral no matter how annoying and dangerous they are.
Axolotls aren't illegal here (plenty of pet shops sell them) but we are not allowed salamanders or newts, also in most places in Australia you are going to need a chiller on an axolotl tank since they feel the heat.

We do have plenty of cute critters here in Australia, sadly many are endangered thanks to urban sprawl, cats, dogs, introduced birds and so many other factors. What kicks me is that we could keep many of our smaller natives as pets and ensure their survival, but alas depending on which state your in depends on what you can and cant keep as a pet. Unfortunately for me I live in one of the less enlightened states that wont let you keep a lot of our native birds, mammals, amphibians and reptiles. I would dearly LOVE to be able to keep feather tailed gliders as pets they are tiny and beautiful.

Herping in Australia could be fun, but you really would need to have people in the know with you, so many of our snakes can not be identified just by their colour and you don't want to make a lethal mistake. Take for example in NSW their is a broad headed snake that looks very similar to a diamond python, the python is more or less harmless but the broad headed is poisonous. I don't mind snakes but my personal favourites would have to be legless lizards, skinks and geckos. Also your best chance of herping would be in summer at night when the snakes are active.

Hi Talltree :)
axxies only usually morph if they are in terrible unlivable water conditions or more likely they have been forced into it by owners adding iodine or other chemicals which often kill them and is definately not normal. A naturally morphed axxie is very very rare

Making an axie metamorphose is pretty much a death sentence for them.
do you not like the aquatic axie ? I have had mine nearly 8 years and they're lovely just as they are but like Baccus said you may have a hard job with water temps in Australia - even in summer in the UK mine can rise a fair bit

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back