More Rummies Or Some Neons

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Seal36

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have 6 rummy nose tetras in a 40 litre tank but they are too active for the tank so I have moved them to my old 110 litre fish tank which is much better for them but I want to find either a small species of tetra, rasbora or barb that can go in the tank which are less active which would mean they are more suited to the tank. The tank also has 2 kribensis in and if there are no other fish in the tank they fight with each other which is why I need some other fish in there. The tank is longer than it is higher any suggestions would be welcome especially for the rasbora as only ever had harlequin and galaxy rasbora. Thanks

chilli rasbora look cool. there only very small. you could probably have a decent sized school of them in your tank.

im unfamiliar with kribs so ill take your word for it. ember tetras are a neat little fish. bigger than chilli's. very colourful in the aquarium. i have some, love them to bits.

I would really like to know about some small rasboras as they are a species I have very little experience keeping them and I'm sure that there are some amazing specimens from Tom

I have a 110 litre fish tank that I am re-stocking and want to know what species of rasbora I can have in there as it's a species I know little about. I also have a 40 litre with 2 kribensis in which I would like some rasbora in as I have moved the rummynose tetras that were in there to my 110 litre fish tank from Tom

Harlequins or espei, then there's the micro rasboras such as boraras brigittae, there are lots of options that would look good in a large shoal

I would not suggest rasboras with kribs, and 40 liters is generally far too small for kribs.  Generally they require at least double that size for one pair.

As far as rasboras species, there are some very lovely ones:

harlequin rasboras
hengeli rasboras
lambchop (espei) rasboras
mosquito rasboras
Lots of microrasboras...

Can't argue wiv anything that Eagles just said.

I do understand that the kribensis need more room but when I had them in the 110 litre tank they were going around and killing all the other fish which is why I moved them to the 40 litre if I had money and space to buy a bigger tank I would but I don't. Also what type of microrasbora are there and I love fish that shoal so if any species are better than other at shoaling please let me know from Tom

Seal36 said:
I have 6 rummy nose tetras in a 40 litre tank but they are too active for the tank so I have moved them to my old 110 litre fish tank which is much better for them but I want to find either a small species of tetra, rasbora or barb that can go in the tank which are less active which would mean they are more suited to the tank. The tank also has 2 kribensis in and if there are no other fish in the tank they fight with each other which is why I need some other fish in there. The tank is longer than it is higher any suggestions would be welcome especially for the rasbora as only ever had harlequin and galaxy rasbora. Thanks
Kribensis have no place is a 40l tank after they are more than a few months old. They are cichlids and so are territorial, sometimes pairs have quarrels and such a small tanks leaves the weaker one virtually nowhere to escape. When the Kribs are getting on fine, other fish in a 40l have nowhere to escape when the pair have fry.

What dimensions does the 110l have?
What else is in there now with the Rummynose Tetra (again they have no place in a 40l and thankfully you realised that are gave them a good upgrade)?

What dimensions does the 40l have? Very few fish should be kept in such small tanks for life, Harlequin Rasboras (suggested above) are not suitable, they are too active.

I have said in another post that the only reason that the kribensis are in the 40 litre tank is because when they were in the 110 litre they were killing all the other tank mates. Also the kribensis are breeding already and the female is 2 inches and the male is 3 inches. Also the tank has 3 different hiding spots all over the tank and is heavily planted and the reason that I want some smaller fish in the tank is so that the kribensis have something to take their anger out on.

The dimensions of 110 litre tank is
80cm long
34 cm deep
45cm high

In the tank with the rummies are
1 Pleco 0,0,1
1 apistogramma cacatuoide 1,0,0
3 White Cloud Mountain minnow 0,0,3
3 gold tetra 0,0,3
3 black neon tetra 0,0,3
6 five banded barbs 4,2,0
2 guppies 1,1,0
6 platys 2,4,0
25 total

The dimensions of the 40 litre half octagonal tank is
The rectangle bit in my tank is 46 cm long by 18cm deep and 32 cm high
The 2 triangle bits are 11cm long by 8 cm deep and 32 cm high
The small rectangle left is 31 cm long by 8cm deep and 32 cm high

Who were the Kribs killing in the 110l?

Having a pair of Kribs with another cichlid (Apistogramma) in an 80cm tank is asking for trouble, especially when they are from different continents and their body language differs.

How many Kribs fry are with the parents in the 40l?

The male will probably want to breed again, while the female will want to raise the current brood, so she will likely be attacked if the parents do not need to protect their young. But as I said earlier, a 40l has no space for other species to act as "target" and/or "dither" fish, anything small and inactive you add to that tank will stand no chance. I think you have three short-term choices...
Try moving the Kribs tank right up against to the community tank (so the parents think they need to protect their fry)
Try dangling a mirror against one side of the Krib tank (so the parents think other Kribs are near their young)
Net the male out and put him in the community tank.

The kribensis were killing mollies, platies, various tetra and some of the mountain minnows.

Also the kribensis and apstiogramma have never been in the same tank i started with the apstios in the 40 litre then had to change them around when the kribensis were killing fish.

The kribensis have never had fry they have only ever had eggs.

Also it's the female who is more interested in breeding and the male is more interested in food as with the last batch of eggs he did not guard the nest site or fertilise the eggs and was more interested in guarding food that had fallen to the bottom of the tank

Also is the amount of fish in the 110 litre alright as I thought I might have overstocked it a little bit

from Tom

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back