More pleco drama

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Gypsum

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Some of you may remember me posting about an ich outbreak in my 125, likely brought in by an L471. It took out two L260s and all five killifish. Six or so weeks later, with no further evidence of ich, I decided to restock and rescape the tank, this time with the intentions of making it into a Hypancistrus breeding tank. The only survivors of 'fishy Covid' (yes, I know one is a parasite and the other is a virus) were c. habrosus, c. pygmaeus, and three otos. They can live with the plecos. I picked up two L199s -- or Hypancistrus furunculus -- at the fish shop and put them into the quarantine tank. Within a few days, one suddenly dropped dead. I swore a lot. Then I panicked and moved the other into the main tank. I don't know if it was injured or an issue with the quarantine tank cycling or what. It tested fine, but it's a small tank, and even though we put media from an established tank into the filter and did daily water changes, we haven't had great luck with small, new tanks.

After a week, the remaining pleco was still alive and well, so I returned to the fish shop. Picked up three more L199s because apparently, a colony is more likely to breed. They went straight into the display tank. Then the following day, there was white spot on one of the new plecos. Cue lots more swearing. I started soaking feed in garlic gard and whacked the temperature up to 30. The first time I got a fish with ich from the shop, I was comfortable writing it off as bad luck. But the second?

I'm a bit baffled by how people safely quarantine fish in small tanks that aren't running all the time. My ex-quarantine tank now permanently houses apistogramma borellii and a few pencilfish. I tried using it as a hospital tank but couldn't quarantine anything successfully -- meaning, not killing it -- hence turning it into another display tank. After our first ich outbreak, I bought another small tank.

The good news is that our second wave seems to be less deadly, so far, than the first wave. I'm knocking on every bit of wood in the flat as I say this, but so far, no one's died, and the ich remains on one pleco, who was looking a bit less spotty today. All four plecos are eating. Fingers crossed we stay this way.

Some of you may remember me posting about an ich outbreak in my 125, likely brought in by an L471. It took out two L260s and all five killifish. Six or so weeks later, with no further evidence of ich, I decided to restock and rescape the tank, this time with the intentions of making it into a Hypancistrus breeding tank. The only survivors of 'fishy Covid' (yes, I know one is a parasite and the other is a virus) were c. habrosus, c. pygmaeus, and three otos. They can live with the plecos. I picked up two L199s -- or Hypancistrus furunculus -- at the fish shop and put them into the quarantine tank. Within a few days, one suddenly dropped dead. I swore a lot. Then I panicked and moved the other into the main tank. I don't know if it was injured or an issue with the quarantine tank cycling or what. It tested fine, but it's a small tank, and even though we put media from an established tank into the filter and did daily water changes, we haven't had great luck with small, new tanks.

After a week, the remaining pleco was still alive and well, so I returned to the fish shop. Picked up three more L199s because apparently, a colony is more likely to breed. They went straight into the display tank. Then the following day, there was white spot on one of the new plecos. Cue lots more swearing. I started soaking feed in garlic gard and whacked the temperature up to 30. The first time I got a fish with ich from the shop, I was comfortable writing it off as bad luck. But the second?

I'm a bit baffled by how people safely quarantine fish in small tanks that aren't running all the time. My ex-quarantine tank now permanently houses apistogramma borellii and a few pencilfish. I tried using it as a hospital tank but couldn't quarantine anything successfully -- meaning, not killing it -- hence turning it into another display tank. After our first ich outbreak, I bought another small tank.

The good news is that our second wave seems to be less deadly, so far, than the first wave. I'm knocking on every bit of wood in the flat as I say this, but so far, no one's died, and the ich remains on one pleco, who was looking a bit less spotty today. All four plecos are eating. Fingers crossed we stay this way.
Good luck. Sounds like you are doing the best you can. Is there a problem at the LFS? I'd tell the staff as well, see if they can get it under control.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with fish. I had to set up an emergency tank for my almost 50 tetras when their tank spung another bad leak and I decided to replace it. I used an empty 10 gallon tank and put plenty of anacharis in it to soak up the ammonia. You may try using fast growing plants like anacharis and do what is called a silent/planted cycle for your QT/hospital tank. After I had the new tank running I moved all the plants to that tank along with the fish to help it cycle.

Might try that with the plants. I've done fish-in cycles of a couple new display tanks with cherry barbs, but they are indestructible compared to plecos. It's also possible that it wasn't my quarantine tank at all -- the pleco could have come in with an issue, or got injured arguing with the other one in a small space. It's just impossible to know.

I told the fish shop about the first ich outbreak at the end of July and about the pleco that died in quarantine. They said that they haven't had any issues in their tanks. I haven't bothered messaging them about the current outbreak because I don't think they'll do much. I don't know what SOP is for LFS's, but I was sort of hoping for a wee discount or something on new fish, given the L471 died of ich within a week. And those guys ain't cheap. I'm feeling a bit doubtful of that particular shop right now, to be honest, although we've regularly bought fish and equipment there. They are far from the only place in this area that sell rarer species, so they're not our only option.

As of tomorrow, it will have been a week since I started this thread, and so far, no casualties and I haven't seen any ich on the tank's inhabitants for quite a few days now.

As of tomorrow, it will have been a week since I started this thread, and so far, no casualties and I haven't seen any ich on the tank's inhabitants for quite a few days now.
Congrats!

We're still good in the 125. The plecos are relatively sociable for Hypancistrus species and scurry out of their caves at feeding time.

Hopefully, they are different sexes. They're still juveniles, so tough to accurately sex.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back