More Plants To Id!

McCool

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Got these at Petco as an assortment package.

First one. Its actually three little plants:

20120926_205611.jpg

20120926_205616.jpg

Second:

20120926_205523.jpg

20120926_205513.jpg

Last one. May be the same as the second:

20120926_205443.jpg

20120926_205434.jpg

The first looks like it might be an anubius species. Perhaps the broadleaved anubias (A. barteri). But it could also be Purple Waffle (Hemigraphis exotica). I need a better photos to see for sure. Just judging by the other two I tend toward the latter. I say this becuase they are not aquatic plants so perhaps that one isn't either. The anubias is, but the purple waffle isn't.

The second one looks like bamboo (not a true aquatic species by the way).

The last looks like a house plant...maybe Green Sandy (Dracaena borquensis).

I am thinking you have three non-aquatic species...sorry...

I could be wrong but that's what they look like to me. I double checked against a couple of plant books I have and that seems to be the case. I am always hessitant to say I'm 100% sure because subtle variations in structure can make all the difference in ID and photos don't always show these.

The first looks like it might be an anubius species. Perhaps the broadleaved anubias (A. barteri). But it could also be Purple Waffle (Hemigraphis exotica). I need a better photos to see for sure. Just judging by the other two I tend toward the latter. I say this becuase they are not aquatic plants so perhaps that one isn't either. The anubias is, but the purple waffle isn't.

The second one looks like bamboo (not a true aquatic species by the way).

The last looks like a house plant...maybe Green Sandy (Dracaena borquensis).

I am thinking you have three non-aquatic species...sorry...

I could be wrong but that's what they look like to me. I double checked against a couple of plant books I have and that seems to be the case. I am always hessitant to say I'm 100% sure because subtle variations in structure can make all the difference in ID and photos don't always show these.

I was afraid of that :/ With the first one, should I, just put it in my tank and keep an eye on it? Will it start to rot in the water?

If it is anubias it will be fine, if it is the other, it will rot over time.

If it is anubias be sure not to cover the roots. Anubias roots need to be open to the water. If you tie the plant to a piece of drift wood or rock the roots will actually grab onto it. I have a small anubias (A. nana) in my 6 gallon tank I'm currently building and it's on a bit of wood.

While the three species I think it is are not aquatic they are hardy and known to be able to live submerged for several months. The problem is that after that they die and fall apart.

If it is anubias it will be fine, if it is the other, it will rot over time.

If it is anubias be sure not to cover the roots. Anubias roots need to be open to the water. If you tie the plant to a piece of drift wood or rock the roots will actually grab onto it. I have a small anubias (A. nana) in my 6 gallon tank I'm currently building and it's on a bit of wood.

While the three species I think it is are not aquatic they are hardy and known to be able to live submerged for several months. The problem is that after that they die and fall apart.

Alright, Thank you for the help! I'll try to first one and just keep a close eye on it for a while. I've gotten as many aquatic plants from Petsmart and Petco as non aquatic! Ridiculous. I usually don't get assorted plants, but my mom just bought them for me without me there. Oh well.
Thanks for the help!

Well that was nice of her to do. It's been my experience with PetSmart that the plants are often not aquatic though I've seen better at PetCo it's an issue as well there.

If your tank is open topped then you can put the others in so the leaves are out of the water, they will last longer that way.

I thought the first was anubias on first glance as well but looking back at it, im pretty sure it isnt, the stem looks all wrong to me... might just be the photo though...

Dont know its name but i think i have seen it before and not a true aquatics if its the one im thinking of...

Doh.

Should have gone to specsavers! :lol: :good:

This may help you for future purchases.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/297782-a-survey-of-non-aquatic-plants/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back