More Plants, Suggestions?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Reaction score
I'm getting a 160 litre or 167 litre tank soon and I'm deciding on plants.
I've decided to have the following:
Java moss,
Java fern,
Anubias nana,
Amazon sword.
The amazon sword will be planted in a small pot (for ease of cleaning) and I want some more plants that can be like that.
Hardy and able to be potted is what I'm looking for.
I don't really want to add ferts so a plant that can go without ferts would also be good!
The lighting will either be:
8-watt high-powered LED or 12-watt high-powered LED.
I'm not quite sure if that is considered low or high lighting so if you could tell me then that would be great!
Thank you in advance for any help offered! :D

Not quite sure why nobody has responded? If I've confused you then just ask me to clear it up! :)

These are all hardy easy plants and you ought to be fine. The only issue I see is the leds are very very underpowered for a big tank and wouldn't aid plant growth in the slightest.

I'd be looking at some t8s or t5s to get started for plants.

I mean potted plants are fine but for the best growth I would plant the swords in the substrate so there roots can spread easily.

techen said:
I mean potted plants are fine but for the best growth I would plant the swords in the substrate so there roots can spread easily.
Agree with this. You'd be better off planting them in the substrate to allow them to grow well. You wouldn't keep a house plant or even one in your garden in a tiny pot would you?

Oh okay, I was just thinking to put them in a pot so then when I cleaned the gravel I could just pick them up. Would they need aquarium soil or would normal gravel be fine? And also are there any other plants that could go with the above that are hardy?
Hmmm okay well those are just the lights that come with the tank, (I still haven't gotten the tank yet *sigh*) but how much more power would the outlets allow?

Blondielovesfish said:
Oh okay, I was just thinking to put them in a pot so then when I cleaned the gravel I could just pick them up. Would they need aquarium soil or would normal gravel be fine? And also are there any other plants that could go with the above that are hardy?
Hmmm okay well those are just the lights that come with the tank, (I still haven't gotten the tank yet *sigh*) but how much more power would the outlets allow?
They should grow in gravel, soil, sand, whatever you have really. Some substrates are better than others but if you want to stick to gravel you should find that ok.

You could also try some Cryptocoryne species as they're quite hardy and will grow under most types of lighting conditions, even low light.

I'm not too sure about LEDs and the lighting levels they produce so perhaps someone on here can advise but that does sound low to me

Just to add, there's nothing wrong with low level lighting, you just need to make sure you get the correct levels of the spectrum for your plants.

Okay, at my LFS they sell a pack of three plants labeled as just beginner plants (or it might be starter plants) do you have any idea what these could be? Next time I'm there I'll take a pic if you want. :)
I want my tank to be rather heavily planted with as much variety as possible! So as many suggestions as you can think of lol! I have decided that I can add ferts but will probs just be the basic ones like this LeafZone: http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/detail/view/api-leaf-zone-240ml/m/1007/ so plants that can have that are also a option.
I am limited on some plants as I have to get them off a local online auction site (trademe) as my LFS doesn't really sell plants except for the "beginner" bundle.

If you can get a pick of the beginner bundle I'm sure we can work out what they are. Obviously its a bit difficult as one shops idea of a beginner plant is very different to another but if this is your easiest option, as long as they are aquarium plants then I'd go for them.

I've never used that fert to be honest. Can you get hold of Neutro, Seachem or others?

Yeah I just had a look and I can. Are they better?
And I'll def take a pic although I'm not sure when I'll be in there next but when I go ill post a pic afterwards. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back