More Goldfish Advice.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

rpgmomma8404

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
[SIZE=10.5pt]I bought a 29/30 gallons (113 liters or something around there I think) with all the fix'ems on craigslist for about $45 dollars. It came with two goldfish. I had the goldfish in a container for a couple of days because I took a day to get the tank set up. Then I wait 24 hours after having the tank set up to put them in. They are doing fine but this pretty much ended up being a fish in cycle because the people who sold it to me threw away the old media for the filter. I replaced one of the filter medias on my 15 gallon since I have two filters running on that tank and put the old media into the 30 gallon. So now I am set with getting that tank cycled faster for the health of the fish. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Here's my problem: I know these goldfish will outgrow this tank. They are both common and I know they will be getting big. I'm not sure what to do with them. I was going to re-home them but my son has seem to grown attach to them. He has autism so it's not going to be as simple to find these two new homes as I thought it would be. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]If I decided to keep them what would be my best option? I thought about setting up an indoor pond but we don't really have the room right now or money. How long could they stay in the 30 gallon without having any prolong effects on them? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Here is a picture of them when I first brought them home. After looking at it they have grown within the week that I’d had them. [/SIZE]

As a general rule for goldfish, 1 fish per 10 gallons is usually acceptable. The reason is because unlike most fish, goldfishes compete and absorb a lot of dissolved oxygen but at the same time can thrive in low oxygen levels.

Most goldfishes stay small if kept in a small tank but given a big tank they will grow to adjust their size as well.

I dont know how long you can keep them in there before they outgrow the tank but why not an outdoor pond? These are colwater fish after all and i've some of mine go through some pretty cold temps in the winter. Im not sure how deep the pond will have to be though but mines a bit more than 2 ft deep.

HHH said:
I dont know how long you can keep them in there before they outgrow the tank but why not an outdoor pond? These are colwater fish after all and i've some of mine go through some pretty cold temps in the winter. Im not sure how deep the pond will have to be though but mines a bit more than 2 ft deep.
I have little monster children that run around the neighborhood. I can't trust them not to go over and mess with the fish otherwise I would probably do that. I have to go outside and sit with my dog because these kids were throwing stuff at him. 

what is the dimensions of the tank?
these guys could go to a foot or more in time, if cared for properly BUT it isn't going to happen over night. the actual dimensions of the tank are just as important as the capacity.
the smaller/younger they are the quicker they will grow, i'm not so sure about commons as it's fancies i've got, but they could rocket up to about 4 or 5 inch then slowly grow the rest. under NO circumstances would i advise to deliberately stunt your fish for your convenience rather than their health. but seen as you understand that they will need bigger accomodation i doubt you need told this. again the lower temps in winter will help to slow natural growth rate but as you are in the states i don't know what temp you have.
i could hazzard a guess at how long the present tank may last if i knew the dimensions but i would not be a deffinate garantee, this would hopefully give you a bit of time to see about getting a bigger tank :)

Or if your son wanted a goldfish you should've chosen a smaller goldfish morph like a pearl scale or a toadhead. Bottom line, goldfish really needs a large enclosure to themselves

Tongue_Flicker said:
Or if your son wanted a goldfish you should've chosen a smaller goldfish morph like a pearl scale or a toadhead. Bottom line, goldfish really needs a large enclosure to themselves

She said the fish came with the tank so I don't think there was any choice involved.  She also said the tank was 30 gallons and you said they need 10 gallons each.  The usual advice would be between 35-45 gallons for the first goldfish and 14 gallons for each additional goldfish.

rpgmomma8404 said:
I have little monster children that run around the neighborhood. I can't trust them not to go over and mess with the fish otherwise I would probably do that. I have to go outside and sit with my dog because these kids were throwing stuff at him.
wow seems like trouble :/ i freak out if i just see one person in my backyard....

daizeUK said:

She said the fish came with the tank so I don't think there was any choice involved.  She also said the tank was 30 gallons and you said they need 10 gallons each.  The usual advice would be between 35-45 gallons for the first goldfish and 14 gallons for each additional goldfish.
Sorry what i meant to say back then was 10 gallons per inch of goldfish then x2 since she has two.

Thanks for the information everyone. I found someone that has a pond who will be taking them. I'm just waiting for him to e-mail me and get more information. If that falls through I'm going to check with local fish stores. They are doing fine, just happy and active as can be. 

rpgmomma8404 said:
Thanks for the information everyone. I found someone that has a pond who will be taking them. I'm just waiting for him to e-mail me and get more information. If that falls through I'm going to check with local fish stores. They are doing fine, just happy and active as can be. 

Congratulations with getting your problem solved. I hope that works out and your son can still visit them wherever they go :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back