More Fish Loss Today Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

G

Guest147872

Yesterday I loss several panda cory catfish today I have loss a total of 9 of my Neon Tetra. I checked the water and I do not see what is the problem. The 20 Gallon Long has been cycled for over 2 years now and my readings always look pretty good. I also do 50% WC weekly. Today I noticed the water had a smell to it so I changed the water. Any thoughts on it before I lose all my other fish. Thank You

Kh 3 Gh 3 City water tap
Ph 6.0
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrates 5.0 ppm
Temp 73-74

Attachments

• 20210411_155542.jpg
    20210411_155542.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210411_155550.jpg
    20210411_155550.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 38
Agreed - any amount of ammonia can kill your fish. The smell you experienced may be a result of the ammonia - as ammonia smells terrible. I would immediately do a 50% water change and test. I would continue to do daily water changes until it's at 0.

Is there a missing fish in the tank somewhere. When fish die they need to be removed from the aquarium immediately. You will need to do water changes daily now for a week, I only do 25% changes.

Agreed - any amount of ammonia can kill your fish. The smell you experienced may be a result of the ammonia - as ammonia smells terrible. I would immediately do a 50% water change and test. I would continue to do daily water changes until it's at 0.

I have changed 50% of water immediately. Yeah I have posted a few times about the ammonia being at 0.25 ppm never really got a response on it. Thank You

Is there a missing fish in the tank somewhere. When fish die they need to be removed from the aquarium immediately. You will need to do water changes daily now for a week, I only do 25% changes.

Okay yeah I may of loss some of my bacteria buddies some how of another but not sure how, Maybe keeping my tank a little to clean when I did the water changes I guess is why the ammonia is reading 0.25 ppm. I will cut it down to 20% weekly instead of 50%. Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:
I have known people to do 80% water change to get ammonia nitrite and nitrate under control. Hope all works out well for you

I removed most water to start fresh. Still have a few fish that survived, Will check my water again in 1 hour. I always rinse my filters in the same dirty tank water when doing WC I guess I loss some of my media some how. Thank You

Ammonia should read 0

I posted this yesterday about the ammonia, No response. I thought I had loss some of my bacteria it looks like I did. I just tested water we are at 0 now so all good, I will check it daily now. Thank You

Ammonia & nitrite 0. nitrate is bearable to a certain extent (species dependant).

They have been in this tank for a week now and that ammonia has been pretty much 0.25 ppm. I noticed it last week and thought something was not right with my beneficial bacteria. I may of cleaned the tank to much because of the new setup with it, Is the only thing I can think of. I will just make sure and check my tanks daily now for now on. Fish cost money and plus I hate to lose them because of owner error.

That sounds like a good idea, over cleaning could may well be the issue, I would suggest seachem prime or seachem amguard, it will help will converting ammonia to ammonium which will help a lot.

I removed most water to start fresh. Still have a few fish that survived, Will check my water again in 1 hour. I always rinse my filters in the same dirty tank water when doing WC I guess I loss some of my media some how. Thank You
Another tip would be not to rinse the filters so often. Any time they are rinsed there is the chance of disturbing your media and really you shouldn't have to rinse them very often. Once every month or two should be fine, assuming you have an intake that prevents large debris from being sucked up. Make sure not to squeeze the filter either when you rinse it because that will expel a lot of the beneficial bacteria.

Okay yeah I may of loss some of my bacteria buddies some how of another but not sure how, Maybe keeping my tank a little to clean when I did the water changes I guess is why the ammonia is reading 0.25 ppm. I will cut it down to 20% weekly instead of 50%. Thank You
If you have an established filter then the amount of water you change will not throw your cycle. I will do 50-80% WC weekly on the tanks that need it and have no issues with my cycle.

If you have an established filter then the amount of water you change will not throw your cycle. I will do 50-80% WC weekly on the tanks that need it and have no issues with my cycle.

I changed most of the water and now everything is stable it looks like so far.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back