FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
When my fish would die in the past, I would always find them in the filter intake. Now I haven't had this problem but I'm afraid my fish don't have enough oxygen. Because it's a 10-gallon filter in a 20-gallon tank. I can't replace the filter because that's where most BB is stored. I'm thinking about adding another filter to the other side. What kind of filter would I need to benefit the first filter but not have too much flow?

When my fish would die in the past, I would always find them in the filter intake. Now I haven't had this problem but I'm afraid my fish don't have enough oxygen. Because it's a 10-gallon filter in a 20-gallon tank. I can't replace the filter because that's where most BB is stored. I'm thinking about adding another filter to the other side. What kind of filter would I need to benefit the first filter but not have too much flow?
what fish do you have?

generally, id recommend a HOB filter recommend for 30g+ for your 20g
but some fish do not like flow

if you want to keep your filter and have more air, get a Sponge Filter connected to an Air Pump
it filters the tank while also adding a lot more oxygen than some other filters

fish die and get drawn onto the filter intake by current sin the tank. it has nothing to do with the filter or fish going there to die. Healthy fish can normally swim away from the intake.

There's a cause and effect issue with dead fish on the intake. The filter is there, and it pulls water and debris in. No healthy fish will get caught there - only already doomed ones. Effectively, if your fish has become debris, it gets pulled in.
2 filters are always better than one, if you know the natural history of your fish. If it's an inbred betta with fins that handicap it, no. But if the fish comes from moving water, by all means, upgrade.

what fish do you have?

generally, I'd recommend a HOB filter recommend for 30g+ for your 20g
but some fish do not like flow

if you want to keep your filter and have more air, get a Sponge Filter connected to an Air Pump
it filters the tank while also adding a lot more oxygen than some other filters
What size sponge filter should I get? The smallest I can get is for 20 gallons which will be added to my 10-gallon filter. But you recommended a 30-gallon filter so maybe the add on would work. I have platies and cories. The filter I have is HOB, just smaller. I don't want to replace my filter because I don't want to risk losing too much BB.

fish die and get drawn onto the filter intake by current sin the tank. it has nothing to do with the filter or fish going there to die. Healthy fish can normally swim away from the intake.
I've heard that fish can die from being sucked into a filter, but your explanation does make sense. Would it be the same for shrimp?

If a fish is sick enough to be sucked onto a filter intake, then it could die there. But chances are it was going to die anyway.

Sick or dead shrimp can also be sucked onto filter intakes.

What size sponge filter should I get? The smallest I can get is for 20 gallons which will be added to my 10-gallon filter. But you recommended a 30-gallon filter so maybe the add on would work. I have platies and cories. The filter I have is HOB, just smaller. I don't want to replace my filter because I don't want to risk losing too much BB.
i got a 20 sized sponge filter, it's really small, and more like a 10 gallon, get something bigger maybe 30 gallon filter :)
make sure you get an Air-Pump with it

If the filter is an HOB, it is fine for platies and cories. A second filter or a larger filter is not going to improve things. The only issue here is water flow for the fish, and surface disturbance. An HOB whatever size in any tank is going to handle the surface disturbance if the water breaks the surface. The flow down into the tank is likely more than sufficient.

If the filter is an HOB, it is fine for platies and cories. A second filter or a larger filter is not going to improve things. The only issue here is water flow for the fish, and surface disturbance. An HOB whatever size in any tank is going to handle the surface disturbance if the water breaks the surface. The flow down into the tank is likely more than sufficient.
So, you're saying that my current filtration is fine?

So, you're saying that my current filtration is fine?

From what you posted initially, yes. If the filter breaks (disturbs) the surface it is allowing for a good gas exchange (oxygen and CO2). Most filters can be adjusted so they will (or won't) do this.

Live plants also factor in. They release oxygen as a by-product of photosynthesis during daylight (tank lighting on is "daylight"). At night they don't, but good surface disturbance will keep the exchange adequate.

I have a 29 gallon tank running a Tidal 55 HOB filter along with 2 medium sponge filters. I use an AQQA dual output air pump which even at its lowest setting, runs the air stones quite vigorously. With the Tidal, as with some others, you can adjust the flow. So far, no complaints.

Go check out Aquarium Co-Op for their medium sponge filters. I bought two plus adjustable air stones. Very cheap and work wonderfully.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back