More dead shrimp :-(

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

snailaquarium

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Well I give up, the day before yesterday I put the moss balls in the freezer to kill off excessive snails and then I added back to the tank a full 24 hours after coming back to room temperature, however they are both dead now and look pink so I believe been dead since yesterday when I put the moss balls back in.

Furthermore I usually look at the water I take out when I do water changes and its normally clear, today however there are like millions of what may be ditrius worms. They are either worms or some kind of hairs that looks like a few mm long and less than hair line thin, you need good sight to see them.

I think I'll give up on shrimp for now, they are jut too fussy or something, yes ideally should be in a bigger tank however some have told me you can get away with 1 gallon tank.

Does anyone know if buying fish on ebay is still legal during lockdown?

Does anyone know if buying fish on ebay is still legal during lockdown?
Definitely still legal.

I’m sorry for your loss..

What size tank are they in now? What kind of shrimp are they?

I have been keeping cherry shrimp for over 1 year now. I have a healthy colony in my 29g tank of over 60 shrimp.

Why would you put the moss balls in the freezer? Why not just dip the in a diluted copper solution?

copper once in your tank sticks around and is hard to get rid of, it coats the inside of the tank, the white little worms are there because there is to much uneaten food in your gravel. They will die off when the food is gone or you can do a good vacuuming.

copper once in your tank sticks around and is hard to get rid of, it coats the inside of the tank, the white little worms are there because there is to much uneaten food in your gravel. They will die off when the food is gone or you can do a good vacuuming.

they originated from a few from a plant I bought a couple of months ago. Thought I got them all out!

OK so this was a failure, I belive taking the moss balls out a coupel of days didnt help with ammania levels which turned out to be high, someone was right in saing too many snails, I've removed the babies, and will strt on new projects to help distribute the snails. what else could I put into a one gallon planted tank?

the white little worms are there because there is to much uneaten food in your gravel.

Come to think of it I did get carried away feeding it because I wanted the snails to see the food not the plants which I noticed they started doing.

@snailaquarium i've had ghost and Amano shrimp and they need good nutrients in the water, good water quality besides temp and if they get all this, they molt well.

Mine used to feed well off Algae in my tank, bug bite food besides my cory food.

I understand your frustration. I'm trying my best to raise shrimp too. What I'm learning from my trails and errors is this: 1. dont do a lot of water changes. I killed a lot doing this. Infact I didnt add much water last month. One of my blue diamonds was/is berries. I fine if you do tons of water changes you can shock the shrimp and cause them to go into early shedding when not ready. 2. Sponge filter.i killed a few at beginning with a regular one. I tried the pantry hose trick.... it looked ugly and I find the filter didn't worked well. Plus sponge filter creates food for baby shrimp. 3. plants especially java moss and floaters. 4 feeder bowl. I put their food in a small glass bowl once a day and at night remove it. This helps with waste disposal and keeping food from going to the bottom. The shrimp seem to be able to find it easily. It also a great trap for unwanted snails I find. I also get mulberry leaves from my pet store and leave that at the bottom of tank. I want almond leaves but they were sold out and now with city lock down I cant get it even if they have it.5. Get shrimp that meets your water parameters. Noe caridina for hard, caradina for soft. I tried both...and neos are doing better than caridina. Infact only caridina that's doing well that I have is a tiger. I think I finally have baby shrimp....its either that or bouncing poop....

Last edited:
I understand your frustration. I'm trying my best to raise shrimp too. What I'm learning from my trails and errors is this: 1. dont do a lot of water changes. I killed a lot doing this. Infact I didnt add much water last month. One of my blue diamonds was/is berries. I fine if you do tons of water changes you can shock the shrimp and cause them to go into early shedding when not ready. 2. Sponge filter.i killed a few at beginning with a regular one. I tried the pantry hose trick.... it looked ugly and I find the filter didn't worked well. Plus sponge filter creates food for baby shrimp. 3. plants especially java moss and floaters. 4 feeder bowl. I put their food in a small glass bowl once a day and at night remove it. This helps with waste disposal and keeping food from going to the bottom. The shrimp seem to be able to find it easily. It also a great trap for unwanted snails I find. I also get mulberry leaves from my pet store and leave that at the bottom of tank. I want almond leaves but they were sold out and now with city lock down I cant get it even if they have it.5. Get shrimp that meets your water parameters. Noe caridina for hard, caradina for soft. I tried both...and neos are doing better than caridina. Infact only caridina that's doing well that I have is a tiger. I think I finally have baby shrimp....its either that or bouncing poop....
Thank you for posting this info. I started out with 10 feeder ghost shrimp 4-5 months ago and had a mayfly nymph kill off almost all of them (7) before I found the little @#$#%* and killed it. :mad:I bought 10 more and they had 2 babies last week.:) It is a leaning process. I used to have guppies in with them but found that they may eat the young ,so I moved the guppies. I have my shrimp in a 30 gallon tall tank that I also use to grow anacharis and other plants for my other tanks (sunny room). I was thinking of reducing my water changes too since they and a few snails are the only ones in the tank. I also take the plants out and put them in clear containers when I fertilize them so I do not put it in the tank. I leave them in there for a few days in the sun before returning to the tank. I like the glass bowl idea. I was looking at one that sticks to the side of the tank.

This is my tank. Right now 6 shrimp. Hopefully I get more later. It has algae which I am sure they love. The tank 29 gallon.
15875980872718429582435543001052.jpg

Top picture where my shrimp eating algae the plant is anubias. It doesn't like to be buried in gravel so I attach it to driftwood. Theres java moss and fern. Tiger lily, crypt all easy beginner plants

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back