More dead fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Characf

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As posted previously I'm still getting dead fish, I'm out of ideas now? I'm a relatively new fish keeper and was doing fine for the first 2 months and now I've had 12 fish deaths (9 guppies, 2 red eyed long fin sword tails, 1 platy) some prior symptoms are low energy, hovering near the top and not moving then dying off about 8 hours later.

0ppm Ammonia
0ppm Nitrite
30 Nitrates
PH- 7.5

How long has your tank been set up? How often do you do water changes. What percentage do you change? What is your water's GH? Which test kit are you using?

Your nitrates are borderline high.

How long has your tank been set up? How often do you do water changes. What percentage do you change? What is your water's GH? Which test kit are you using?

Your nitrates are borderline high.
3/4 months, weekly at about 30% but sometimes I do 50%, and my GH is about 320 or 19 German degrees, and API masters test kit.

I know my Nitrates are high, and potentially before a water change raising to 40/50 PPM but that's the tap water I'm dealing with it shouldn't be killing fish at this rate

With your nitrates level, I recommend doing 50 to 60 percent weekly water changes. And perhaps add some fast growing plants, especially floating plants to suck up some of the nitrates.

What is the nitrite and nitrate levels of your tap water?

With your nitrates level, I recommend doing 50 to 60 percent weekly water changes. And perhaps add some fast growing plants, especially floating plants to suck up some of the nitrates.

What is the nitrite and nitrate levels of your tap water?
The source of nitrates are high, so wouldn't achieve that much. And I've got a couple of floating plants, duckweed etc.. I don't think that's the problem here tbh. Nitrates are a different topic I've discussed before

Do some rocks cause deaths? As I've got a large bit of slate, and some rocks I collected from a beach (years ago) have been washed and sterilised multiple times before putting in.. did the vinegar test also

What size is the tank. Also, if you believe Nitrates are not the cause, is there any other symptoms present in the tank that the fish are showing

what is the temperature of the tank?
what type of filter are you using? are you cleaning the filter media regularly?

What size is the tank. Also, if you believe Nitrates are not the cause, is there any other symptoms present in the tank that the fish are showing
300 gals approx, 4ft. And they become a bit lethargic then die

what is the temperature of the tank?
what type of filter are you using? are you cleaning the filter media regularly?
25c and this is my filter.

Yes I clean the filter media

I don't have any ideas that offer treatments. It's a good sized tank with a regular water change system. The hardness seems right for the species. I didn't notice you'd added any new fish to carry in a pathogen.

We're left like people in the days before the discovery of micro-organisms, looking at the fish with no clue what's up. With no obvious symptoms, and no obvious causes, it may just be one of those scoop the dead, do the water changes and hope it burns itself out scenarios.

If you had added any new fish, especially pet shop guppies, I'd suspect they brought in a virus. But if nothing new has gone in, you will probably never know.

I don't have any ideas that offer treatments. It's a good sized tank with a regular water change system. The hardness seems right for the species. I didn't notice you'd added any new fish to carry in a pathogen.

We're left like people in the days before the discovery of micro-organisms, looking at the fish with no clue what's up. With no obvious symptoms, and no obvious causes, it may just be one of those scoop the dead, do the water changes and hope it burns itself out scenarios.

If you had added any new fish, especially pet shop guppies, I'd suspect they brought in a virus. But if nothing new has gone in, you will probably never know.
I had two new floating plants come in from Ebay when it all started, like I said it was fine for two months prior. Only thing I can link it to? But yeah that's what I'm hoping it just burns itself out

In 56 years, I have never had a plant bring in disease of any sort (unless pond snails or Hydra count as disease). But it can happen.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back