More Angel Fish Questions.

OK. So the plan at the moment is to set my 29G back up and get it cycled. Then I will add about 5 juvenile angel fish and see how they develop. Once I determine which 2 will do best together, I will take the others to LFS. Does anyone see problems with this plan? Still have to get stuff out of storage so won’t happen tomorrow.
That's a great plan. This is going to take a long time anyway. The fish will take 6 months to a year to grow and pair off depending on conditions. Any LFS is tickled pink to get mature angels to sell so you win twice on this deal. Go get your fish !

That's a great plan. This is going to take a long time anyway. The fish will take 6 months to a year to grow and pair off depending on conditions. Any LFS is tickled pink to get mature angels to sell so you win twice on this deal. Go get your fish !

ha ha...I bought 12 beauties....was not hoping to do any breeding, ended up with 5 pairings, one set is a pair of females (?) but love them all, ended up with 5 tanks. have one big man by himself now, super aggressive, but he has been with me for 6 years, I couldn't get rid of him. his name is velvet
0726190718a.jpg

Assuming the 55g is 4 feet in length, a group of five. But, when a pair forms, you may then be faced with having to remove the others, or the pair, and that leads to more trouble as the others may not work without the pair in that small a tank.

No. As Colin noted, the fish must select their own mates and this means there has to be a group so they have a choice. Mind you, none of them may pair as a bond, but it is more likely to result in success if there are several to choose from.

No to the males only question; as soon as you have more than one male, there will be individual territory issues. It is not just the male/female pairing issue, it is the fish's inherent behaviours we are dealing with here.

Females only might be more peaceful, I've never done this or heard of others who have. But something tells me it is not going to work. And, discerning male/female in juvenile fish is next to impossible.

morning! I have a female only tank, its my 55g. there is still a dominance problem, but my 4 seem to have settled down, this tank seems big enough for my four. I am thinking of putting champagne (my widowed golden female) into this bunch, but she still has 10 days of quarantine to go, and im not sure if that will work...she is an alpha female. never tried an all male tank, pretty sure that it wont end well.
ps. been breeding angels for a long time now, almost impossible to tell male from female until they lay eggs, and even then you only know you have a female....if they are fertilized...you gots a pair! here are three of my 6yr old females.
0725190648b.jpg

A pair will do great in a 29g and raise lots of babies.

My 65g currently has 6 angle's in it and only the younger gold pair lay eggs regularly.
I don't try and save the fry as I currently have no room for them.

The 2nd pair (marble) are the parents of the Gold ones. And the other 2 are marble and have never bonded or layed eggs.

This tank also contains 4 boesmani rainbows a clown loach and a albino bristle nose. Along with 3 German blue Rams (was 2 pair).

When the gold pair are spawning the male is very aggressive, but has never killed anyone. He mostly just keeps the other angle's and the rainbows away from the eggs.

how do you have so many angels in one tank! I have a 55, bought 12 amazing beauties and within 6 months they were breeding and fighting like crazy. had to split them all up, now have 5 tanks! love your tanks, this was what I wanted...1 large tank with a happy school of angels.... I have been able to put 4 of my girls back together in the 55, but no chance of reacclimating my male marble, or my 2 other females (pretty sure the others will not tolerate them and they will be hurt.)
16b653cc63dd59b5801afb7217bf4770.jpg
dfca1ecdd354d2f3b10d1b8849a7afde.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

The second tank is the 30 bow front that the marble pair had the fry in.

I have given away over 36 fish from that tank already.

Thanks, guys. Your angel fish are all beautiful! My bff who also is a research analyst in aquatic studies is trying to discourage me from getting into angel fish. She says they get sick easily and are a pain to care for. Have ya’ll ( excuse my Texas Southern English) had any big issues I need to consider before making the decision to go forward on this? I’ll be on my own in this project as I won’t be able to admit failure to my bff. Lol!

Thanks, guys. Your angel fish are all beautiful! My bff who also is a research analyst in aquatic studies is trying to discourage me from getting into angel fish. She says they get sick easily and are a pain to care for. Have ya’ll ( excuse my Texas Southern English) had any big issues I need to consider before making the decision to go forward on this? I’ll be on my own in this project as I won’t be able to admit failure to my bff. Lol!

I love my angels. always have, and always will. I think with your savvy as a fish lover, you'll do just fine with them. as with anything, start with a good crop of healthy youngins, and take care as you would any of your other fish. now, that being said, I wanted to get koi angels, but this was when they were really just coming out and while they are BEAUTIFUL, to me they were a new strain, so I stuck with just kinda mutts and old standby strains, more hardy. am also on a facebook sight of angels and discus, and saw school of amazing looking angels. can't find it now:( probably should just leave it at that:cool:

I love my angels. always have, and always will. I think with your savvy as a fish lover, you'll do just fine with them. as with anything, start with a good crop of healthy youngins, and take care as you would any of your other fish. now, that being said, I wanted to get koi angels, but this was when they were really just coming out and while they are BEAUTIFUL, to me they were a new strain, so I stuck with just kinda mutts and old standby strains, more hardy. am also on a facebook sight of angels and discus, and saw school of amazing looking angels. can't find it now:( probably should just leave it at that:cool:
Thanks so much! One more question if I may... Would you recommend buying a group from a breeder? Problem with breeders is I would have to have them shipped, which I have done many times successfully. If I buy from a breeder should I buy a group or buy individually for different colors? Have you had success in buying from Lfs? Finally, (I know this turned into more than one question and apologize) do you have any recommendations of breeders or Goid places to purchase them? I appreciate all of the information and thanks!

Thanks so much! One more question if I may... Would you recommend buying a group from a breeder? Problem with breeders is I would have to have them shipped, which I have done many times successfully. If I buy from a breeder should I buy a group or buy individually for different colors? Have you had success in buying from Lfs? Finally, (I know this turned into more than one question and apologize) do you have any recommendations of breeders or Goid places to purchase them? I appreciate all of the information and thanks!
I'm in FLA.
I got my original angel's at Petco and pet supermarket. 4 from each store

The first breeding pair was a gold male and a silver female. They produced marbles and silver. The gold did not come back for 3 generations. The 4th generation started throwing out the gold and marbles.

The 5th generation pair is gold male and female.

I may keep a couple of the marbles that are nearly black. We'll see

Last edited:
So cool! So I just look for Angels about the same size then, I guess. Gonna start looking around!

grayRavenn, your angelfish are great. What fantastic pictures. And Deanasue, if you want to mail order fish, now's the time while the weather is nice. There are some specialty breeders that sell A1 top quality angelfish. This whole discussion in this thread is giving me the Angelfish bug. The pictures posted here are awesome! Truly, the Angelfish is both the King and Queen of aquarium fishes. The Angelfish is the iconic symbol of our hobby recognized by everyone. Don't let anyone discourage you from this great undertaking you are considering. Did I forget to mention that the Angelfish is the most beautiful of all aquarium fish?

grayRavenn, your angelfish are great. What fantastic pictures. And Deanasue, if you want to mail order fish, now's the time while the weather is nice. There are some specialty breeders that sell A1 top quality angelfish. This whole discussion in this thread is giving me the Angelfish bug. The pictures posted here are awesome! Truly, the Angelfish is both the King and Queen of aquarium fishes. The Angelfish is the iconic symbol of our hobby recognized by everyone. Don't let anyone discourage you from this great undertaking you are considering. Did I forget to mention that the Angelfish is the most beautiful of all aquarium fish?
There’s no denying they are beautiful! Actually in Texas, it would be better to wait a couple of months to order via mail. We are hovering close to 100F right now. Gives me time to look. My biggest problem is finding a spot that I could put my tank. It has to be close se enough to the kitchen sink to use the Python.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back