Mopani wood

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Snaillover90

Reaction score
Hey guys! I have now upgraded my newest betta to a bigger tank, and was curious on everyone's opinion of the zoomed mopani wood? Good, bad, why are tannens good, or bad. Any info would be great!

Tannins are good because they darken water, and bettas love darkness. I dont know much about wood but if you boil the wood first it will get rid of a lot of tannins. I like the look of tannins but its not for all fish.

so ive had my wood in a few days now and ive noticed a slight yellowing to the water when i do my change(i do 25% a week) i did pre boil the wood a little

would this be tannin in the wood still?

so ive had my wood in a few days now and ive noticed a slight yellowing to the water when i do my change(i do 25% a week) i did pre boil the wood a little

would this be tannin in the wood still?
Probably...it all depends, not only on the type of wood, but the individual piece and its history.
It'll dissipate over time and water changes...or you can add a teabag to your filter to enhance it.

Hey guys! I have now upgraded my newest betta to a bigger tank, and was curious on everyone's opinion of the zoomed mopani wood? Good, bad, why are tannens good, or bad. Any info would be great!
I don't like the look of new mopani wood, it can be pale and orangey, but when it has been in the tank for a short while it goes a nice dark brown, Tannins are good for fish health, they have anti-bacterial properties, they soften the water slightly, and the tinted water helps fish feel secure.
I don't advocate boiling wood (unless acquired from the wild) because it softens the fibres and reduces the lifespan of the wood. Soft woods increases the organics which can cause algae or nitrate problems. Boiling also reduces the beneficial tannins. If the wood floats just weight it down with something (a stone in the tank?) for a couple of weeks.

Probably...it all depends, not only on the type of wood, but the individual piece and its history.
It'll dissipate over time and water changes...or you can add a teabag to your filter to enhance it.
im not a huge fan of tannins as i like to see as much true colour on my fish as possible

ill just let things take there natural course and eventually ill have crystal clear water again hopefully :)

@Bruce Leyland-Jones thanks for the info

Ahhh ok, I want a healthy fish, but not sure if I want it to be dark, also would It harm my mystery snail? I'm trying to find a nice little hide out for my man, so he feels more at home and safe while his plants grow, but don't want to crowd his 5 gallon I judt got him
Pic of him before he was settled in. He is so pretty!

Attachments

• 20211002_221949.jpg
    20211002_221949.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 34
Oh thst was just a tall glass jar lol. Let me get a pic of the current tank. ( I used gravel and suck from an established tank, and am monitoring parameters close)
I just really want him to feel secure amd happy

Attachments

• received_365202658620931.jpeg
    received_365202658620931.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 30

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back