Moorish Idol (Gill from Finding Nemo)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

-Chewy-

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone have any comments on this fish?? Have your say on how hard or how easy is the Moorish Idol... or tips on how to keep it... or past experience with this fish...

-Chewy-

gills from finding nemo... not sure who that is... (google search will help me... one sec...)

The only experience that I have is from a friend. He has had two in the past, and both arrived with damaged top fins. Had a devil of a time righting them. They were fairly long lived and the second one is still with him or his wife, can't remember if it is one of the fish that she got to take to her work place.

ALASKA

Would love to hear what others have to say about this fish..

This fish is difficult to keep and does not live too long in captivity. Everything I read up on says this fish is near impossible to keep. Plus they are very expensive.

To quote one of my books:

"This glorious fish has been on the want list of most marine aquarists at one time or another. Unfortunately, it is difficult to to keep. In most cases it will refuse to eat and will never take food with gusto and will slowly starve or decline in health."

If you want something with similar colors and look. Get a Longfin Bannerfish or Schooling Bannerfish. I know its not as gorgeous as the Idol but it has a similar look and is easily kept.

Yep, most websites i have seen about Moorish Idol stated that it is a very difficult fish to keep because it is almost impossible to feed...
However, is that the only reason that makes this fish so hard to keep? If so, does it mean that a eating Moorish Idol would be a relatively easy fish to keep?
Would really like to see what the others have to say...

-Chewy-

Feeding is the main problem but they are a very sensative fish so you need excellent water conditions and a large tank to keep one. I suggest going for banner fish instead. maybe not as nice but they last more than 6 months.

ste :)

yeah from what I seen a friend go through trying to keep one, I'd say
go for something else. very hard to keep.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back