Moonlight issue

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lspringfield

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to this forum and have had my Aquarium since November.

My aquarium is fully stocked with;
1 Opaline Gourami
1 Moonlight Gourami
3 Gold Gourami
2 Pearl Gourami
3 Yo-yo Loaches
1 Super Red Bristlenose

Aquarium size - 200L
Water condition;
Temp 26°C
PH 7.6
GH 180
KH 80
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2
Phosphate 0.25
50L water changes each and every weekend.
50% RO/DI and the rest tap water treated with Prime.

I've attached pictures of my offending Gourami, the moonlight, looks like Zits that need a good pop. Started to appear about 3 weeks ago, slowly got bigger and today the worst had gone red. I've just finished a 7 day course of Melafix for this issue and a 4 week treatment of Anti-Fluke and Wormer due to the Loaches bringing parasites to the tank, had 5 and 2 died of the skinny. The issue I'm having might be because that treatment didn't sit well with him and might now clear up, but I'd rather ask here to be safe than sorry. His behaviour is fine, eats loads and actively swimming around.

Anyways have a look at the picture, sorry if it's not clear, and please mind the algae, going to clean it on the next water change.

Thanks for your time.

Forgot to add, i just increased more media to increase bio filtration. Filter now consists of 1 floss, 2 Course and 3 Fine. I removed active carbon and Nitrax due to a couple plants needing the iron and Nitrates.

Attachments

• IMG_20230131_120600448.jpg
    IMG_20230131_120600448.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20230131_120525472.jpg
    IMG_20230131_120525472.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 37
Hmmm. With luck, it's a wound. That's one bad neighbourhood of a tank, with all those similar gouramis.

Without luck, it's a bacterial infection, and melafix does nothing for that. What is the shape of the mark, if you had to describe it? It really is hard to focus in on at the angles.

Hmmm. With luck, it's a wound. That's one bad neighbourhood of a tank, with all those similar gouramis.

Without luck, it's a bacterial infection, and melafix does nothing for that. What is the shape of the mark, if you had to describe it? It really is hard to focus in on at the angles.

Thanks for the reply. The tank looks peaceful enough, can't vouch for what goes on at night, a few times when I peer in during the night the Gourami are just floating mid tank, Loaches hiden up and the Bristlenose trying his best to eat the algae which grows fast than he can eat it.

As for the issue, he has 1 white spot on the right side of his head which was the first to appear, this hasn't really changed, it's like an oval shape and protrudes slightly. But the left side has 3 white spots, the worst being where 2 have pretty much merged together cause swelling up from underneath his scales, lifting a couple up, one of which has turned red but they do just look like white heads full of puss from what I can see. I saw an article saying it could be bacterial from a lack of bio filtration, most common in tanks where the filters are either cleaned too often or a lack of media for the bacteria to be sufficient. Hence ive increased the amount of sponges in there. I squeeze the sponges once a week during the water change in the old water and replace the floss each fortnight. So seemed the likely cause.

Either way I'm at a loss of what it could be, I'm hoping it'll sort itself out but rather give a helping hand just incase.

My concern is that a Mycobacteriosis cyst follows the pattern you describe (pushing up from under the scales). It's usually rectangular (ish).

It's fatal, 100%, untreatable and communicable to us if we are immune suppressed and have open cuts. It gives hard to cure lesions up the surface lymphatic system. I caught it years ago and had 6 months of an antibiotic cocktail to clear it, so if I suspect it may be there now, I don't put my hands in if I have even a paper cut, and I euthanize all fish with sores.

It isn't uncommon in farmed fish, and most fish encyst it and get on with shortened lives. A breakout sore is a drastic thing for tankmates.

The bacteria can survive bleach, so Melafix does nothing.

Transmission to humans is extremely rare, btw, but since it happened to lucky me, I have a certain awareness of it...

My concern is that a Mycobacteriosis cyst follows the pattern you describe (pushing up from under the scales). It's usually rectangular (ish).

It's fatal, 100%, untreatable and communicable to us if we are immune suppressed and have open cuts. It gives hard to cure lesions up the surface lymphatic system. I caught it years ago and had 6 months of an antibiotic cocktail to clear it, so if I suspect it may be there now, I don't put my hands in if I have even a paper cut, and I euthanize all fish with sores.

It isn't uncommon in farmed fish, and most fish encyst it and get on with shortened lives. A breakout sore is a drastic thing for tankmates.

The bacteria can survive bleach, so Melafix does nothing.

Transmission to humans is extremely rare, btw, but since it happened to lucky me, I have a certain awareness of it...

I'm going to say yes it is a rectangular sort of thing. What do you suggest? Remove him from the Aquarium to avoid it spreading, or could it be too late for that?

Just an update, he seems to be recovering slowly but surely.

Wednesday night 2 of his spots had burst, and have since been shrinking and healing. Just a couple ope. Wounds now, it seems like a common hole in the head, using some meds for that on a 3 day course. While the wounds open he's not out of the woods yet. I'll let you know if he makes a full recovery.

A nasty disease. It will reappear, on the same fish, on others in the tank, or both.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back