Monthly Cost

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

anthony_h

Reaction score
I am interested in seting up a saltwater tank and right now I am researching everything to make sure that I am going to be able to afford it. I have heard that a saltwater setup uses a lot of power with all of the lights and pumps. Does it cost a whole lot per month to keep all of this equipment running?

Not really, you might see a little increase in cost but not much!. It's only the inical cost of setting up the tank that sets you and arm and a leg, once all is up and running is a piece of cake really. Money wise that is, they still need looking after.

That's great. I have been saving up, but I am a college student so my income is very little while in school. I just didn't want to get into it and see that the electric bill sky rocketed because of all the pumps and stuff running. I didn't think that it would, but I just wanted to ask to be sure. Thanks guys.

Well in my case it has raised the electric bill.
I do have allot of equipment......

2 150w Metal halides
2 96w actinic power compact
3 powerheads
1 protein skimmer
1 return water pump
1 UV satirizer

Plus my cooler in the house is on 24/7 to keep the tank at a stable temp. My electric bill is up at least $30 a month
Now if you add what I pay for fish/coral food and water changes, It's about another $30.

So for me about $60+ US to maintain the tank.

Hazmat

I'm sure the halides must like to suck alot of electricity!

I am lucky I dont pay the bills, BUT I pay other things instead, anyways I dont only have my saltwater tank alone, and I still really haven't seen much of an increase in monthly costs. Only food for the corals and fishes apart from that.

Most reactions

Back