Mollys dying

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Sheilalk

Reaction score
Hi Iā€™m new here and a new aquarium owner. I have had a tank up for 5 months. I have 4 Robertsi tetra, 2 Siamese algae eaters. 1 angelfish, and 3 mollys (1 male, 2 female). In the beginning I lost a couple tetras but they seem stable now. But Iā€™ve lost 4 mollys within a week or 2 of getting them. I replaced the first 2 and then replaced them again. I have a 29 gallon tank. My water tests okay with master test kit and test strips.I do weekly 25% water changes and filter pad changes every 2 weeks. The other Mollys seemed fine and then just died. If they did anything unusual it was hiding away for a day or two before they died.I have one right now that appears to be having a swim bladder problem. She canā€™t swim right and bounces all over. Sheā€™s been like this for about 4 days. I didnā€™t feed them all for 2 days and then tried to feed her peas as was recommended online. Iā€™m not sure if she actually ate any but it looks like maybe. But no improvement yet. My pH is around 7, GH 250 no nitrites low nitrates, low to no ammonia. Heater is at 77.

I wouldn't change filter pads. The older they get, the more beneficial bacteria they grow. If your water is not testing for ammonia or nitrites, though, that isn't the problem.

Have you tried adding a little rock salt--like a tablespoon per five gallons? Mollies often appreciate a little salt, but that might not work with all of your fish.

Hmmm. Most fish deaths in fish that have been in the tank for less than 6 weeks are the result of supply chain issues. My advice is not deep - avoid new mollies, at least for a while. They aren't a good choice with the angel and tetras, and a lot of livebearers sold to the stores, and then to us, are not very vigourous these days.

filter pad changes every 2 weeks.
That's way too soon to change them. That way your bacterial culture won't be able to settle down in a good way. And if it's time that you need to do something about those pads. Don't replace them but just squeeze them out a bit but not totally for you do want the bacterial culture to stay in there.

It sounds like a problem with your water parameters if your tests show any ammonia. I have not kept mollies for many years so I'm going by memory here. Success was achieved by keeping them in a fully cycled, hard water tank, neutral pH, no ammonia, no nitrites and very low nitrates. I agree with not changing the filters for now and work on improving your water parameters. For now, I also recommend not adding any more fish. Even if some die, I wouldn't replace them until your tanks water parameters are in line.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back