Mollys and Platys

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Weehotty

Reaction score
Hi

I have seen quite a few posts online that mollys and platys cant cross breed.

However my Dalmation Molly and Red Micky Mouse Platy have!

Behold - I present to you

The Polly !

Attachments

• BB1BB007-485C-417F-9FB6-498BCD18804B.jpeg
    BB1BB007-485C-417F-9FB6-498BCD18804B.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 1,275
Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to say, but platies and mollies could never naturally crossbreed. Its kind of the same as trying to breed platies in guppies, it will never happen. They are not close enough related to do that. That's a normal platy coloring and is defiantly just a platy. Im guessing you have a platy female in there, and she gave birth to it.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to say, but platies and mollies could never naturally crossbreed. Its kind of the same as trying to breed platies in guppies, it will never happen. They are not close enough related to do that. That's a normal platy coloring and is defiantly just a platy. Im guessing you have a platy female in there, and she gave birth to it.
I understand what you are saying but I only have one Female Dalmation Molly and one Male Platy and I put the Dalmation molly in the maternity wing when she got fat .. it’s definitely a cross breed

I'll be convinced when I see pictures of adults. That's still in the range of the molly having maintained sperm packets internally, and having refertilized herself from an encounter with a male before you had her. If you had posted this in April 2023, I would have gotten really intrigued, but the jury is still out on this one.

Your salt and pepper platy female is just a tad bit bigger than the one I have pictured because she is pregnant. Also, I would recommend you get at least 2 more female platies as the male will bother the single one you have wanting to mate and stress her out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back