FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aussie_Bristle

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi all
Only new with mollies hence why the ask. She’s seems kinda square but not sure as she’s a balloon molly. Dick the male (has that name for a reason :rolleyes:) is harassing her like crazy, but she seems not bothered as she has a real peaceful nature. I found her today on the bottom of the tank kinda rolling forward on her belly to get food and rolled back eating it. She’s swimming fine and seems happy to potter around the tank by herself. I’ve just done a water change yesterday and waiting to check my parameters but all were fine when tested before the w/c.

Attachments

• C5794CF5-FE6F-4F18-9855-31F271131D99.jpeg
    C5794CF5-FE6F-4F18-9855-31F271131D99.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 78
  • ADC820FD-BFE4-4857-A03C-569C6CC867C5.jpeg
    ADC820FD-BFE4-4857-A03C-569C6CC867C5.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 74
Unfortunately I have a hard time telling with balloon mollies. Regular mollies no problem! Another member will help you with this matter. In the photos you provided show that her fins are clamped to her body, what are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? Is your water hard?

Unfortunately I have a hard time telling with balloon mollies. Regular mollies no problem! Another member will help you with this matter. In the photos you provided show that her fins are clamped to her body, what are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? Is your water hard?

She passed over night unfortunately.Looks like my Ammonia has spiked a little I’m not sure if it’s because I have reduced the bio waste in the tank significantly or what.
Ammonia- around .25ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm
Ph- 7.6
Hardness- 20 - 40ppm

I prime after every w/c and also prime every few days if need be. All the other fish are doing great and are swimming fine. I did however get rid of my goldfish from that tank the other week and I have been getting these few problems. I do have fry in a breeding tank in this same tank and they are doing great tho.
I have other mollies in there that are doing fantastic and are energetic and swimming freely.
Now I was going to clean my canister filter out today but I’m really worried to because of this, should I wait to get this under control before doing this or should I proceed to do this?

Sorry about your fish, you are having a run of bad luck lately:(

Tell me about it, I am absolutely devastated over all this :sad: but I just got to rectify the problem and get it better for all my other ones!!
I am really scared to clean my canister filter due to this

Last edited:
About a month or two ago I lost a couple of neon and ember tetras over a 2+ week period. I checked my water almost every day which was always good. I know one ember die while trying to give birth. My glow lights tetra lost none and in fact had two fry. My red eye tetra was fine.

About a month or two ago I lost a couple of neon and ember tetras over a 2+ week period. I checked my water almost every day which was always good. I know one ember die while trying to give birth. My glow lights tetra lost none and in fact had two fry. My red eye tetra was fine.
I just had my full grown swordtail pass the other day too. He was my baby, he was about 8-9cm long (not including his sword) and was like the grandad of the tank. I had notice the last few weeks changes in him as they only live between 3 - 5 years from what I’ve read and he was well up there. He was slowing down abit more and sitting up the top with the top dwellers but just not as active. I nursed him in a separate tank until he passed, it was heartbreaking.
I’ll do another water change today and see how I go I suppose.

You know thinking about it, I just recently put an air pump in the tank. Before that I was using an internal filter as the air pump, I still have the internal filter in as a filter for the top dwellers as they love to swim in the current of it. Do you think I am oxygenating the tank to much maybe? Could this be a course of the deaths?

It is not likely but possible. It would maybe stress the fish. I never ran into it before. I would think excess would simply go into the air.

I don’t know, just trying to figure out what’s going on that’s all.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back