Molly Pregnancy Questions

Much more useful photos and that 'tatty' look was simply out-of-focus natural mottling.
The fish actually seem okay and the white patch is, as you've guessed, indicative of pregnancy.
Gestation depends upon a number of factors, one of which I've already hinted at, but it could be anything from 5 to 11 weeks. Think of 7 or 8 as an average.

I will repeat my concern re the lack of plants. That sad clump hanging in the corner doesn't really count. ;)

What is your aversion to the green stuff?
I don't have an

Much more useful photos and that 'tatty' look was simply out-of-focus natural mottling.
The fish actually seem okay and the white patch is, as you've guessed, indicative of pregnancy.
Gestation depends upon a number of factors, one of which I've already hinted at, but it could be anything from 5 to 11 weeks. Think of 7 or 8 as an average.

I will repeat my concern re the lack of plants. That sad clump hanging in the corner doesn't really count. ;)

What is your aversion to the green stuff?
Hot the wrong thing, lol. I don't have an aversion to plants, I am still learning and don't know how many to put in. I thought I might have too much! :( Since it takes up almost half the top of the tank. Should I get more floating ones or should I get sinking ones?

Hot the wrong thing, lol. I don't have an aversion to plants, I am still learning and don't know how many to put in. I thought I might have too much! :( Since it takes up almost half the top of the tank. Should I get more floating ones or should I get sinking ones?
It really doesn't matter.
Remember, aquatic plants are rarely like terrestrial plants...they don't have thick, wooden trunks. You could probably fill that tank with 75% loose greenery and the fish would still get about.
(Some fish do prefer more open spaces).
If you bought something like Elodea of millfoil, these would normally come with small weights attached and these could be left simply dangling upright in the water.
Whilst a substrate is usually a preferred option and is something useful to stick some plants in, I'll assume you have a reason for your bare-bottomed tank?

It really doesn't matter.
Remember, aquatic plants are rarely like terrestrial plants...they don't have thick, wooden trunks. You could probably fill that tank with 75% loose greenery and the fish would still get about.
(Some fish do prefer more open spaces).
If you bought something like Elodea of millfoil, these would normally come with small weights attached and these could be left simply dangling upright in the water.
Whilst a substrate is usually a preferred option and is something useful to stick some plants in, I'll assume you have a reason for your bare-bottomed tank?
Local fish store out of gravel and sand. An thank you!! I will be getting that ASAP

To be honest with enough plants like @Bruce Leyland-Jones said the fry would have plenty of space to hide and there would be absolutely no need to move any fish from the tank to a box/hatchery

Just moving a fish can be stressful for it

also having substrate would really help

To be honest with enough plants like @Bruce Leyland-Jones said the fry would have plenty of space to hide and there would be absolutely no need to move any fish from the tank to a box/hatchery

Just moving a fish can be stressful for it

also having substrate would really help
I will be getting on this asap! Thank you both for your help!!

I’m not “breeding” these for profit or anything I just let them do there own thing and they breed regular because there happy in there environment

I leave the fry’s surviving rate down to nature to decide I always end up with some fry left and they are always the healthiest ones out of however many were born in the first place

Not all my hiding spaces are plants but there’s a lot of hiding places

Attachments

• 3CE77663-F539-4EBE-ACFA-D72AD5339A1B.jpeg
    3CE77663-F539-4EBE-ACFA-D72AD5339A1B.jpeg
    373.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 8B2A0E7A-37DC-48B5-86B2-BB0286D793FC.jpeg
    8B2A0E7A-37DC-48B5-86B2-BB0286D793FC.jpeg
    330.1 KB · Views: 54
I’m not “breeding” these for profit or anything I just let them do there own thing and they breed regular because there happy in there environment

I leave the fry’s surviving rate down to nature to decide I always end up with some fry left and they are always the healthiest ones out of however many were born in the first place

Not all my hiding spaces are plants but there’s a lot of hiding places
That looks amazing! Thank you for showing me!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back