Molly Newbie

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FallynLeigh

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey there,
So, to start off, Hello, My name is Fallyn and I'm 15.  I've had fish all my life.  My dad bought me my first 5 gallon tank when I was 5 or 6 and I've loved fish ever since.  I've had guppies, angels, cichlids, barbs, sharks, tetras, betas, a few species from my local lake that are unknown to me, and now mollies.  My current set ups are a 10 gallon tank with 5 adult mollies and about 25 fry, although I'm currently looking for a 30+ gallon tank, and a 20 gallon tank with an angel and a gorami.  I know 10 gallons is way too small for that many mollies, but its all I have at the moment.  

My mollies are:
a dalmatian female named Abbey- she's responsible for about half of the fry in the tank
a black male named Steve- he's the alpha male from what I can tell
an orange male named Rick- he's very skidish and likes to hide in the little cave decoration, he's a lyre-tale
a silver female named Tina- she's the smallest and is responsible for the other half of the fry
a silver male named Rocky- I just got him today after my white lyre-tale female dyed only a day after getting her
around 20-25 fry- some are Abbey's and some are Tina's

My 10 gallon is very clean and the water is perfect (I test it almost every day because of how many mollies are in there) and it has lots of plants for the babies to hide in, its survival of the fittest for them!

In my 20 gallon, the blue gorami likes to hide behind the giant sword plant that takes up 60% of the tank- he's very shy.  The angel is black and white and is always swimming around.  They both are around 3 years old!

I also have 3 cats (all of whom love the tanks!), 2 rats, and 1 horse.  What can I say?  I'm an animal lover!

My mom and I take care of the tanks, and we love our fish- one day we'd like to have a 250+ gallon community tank with all kinds of fish.  Since I'm new to mollies, any advice with them would be greatly appreciated!

Get a bigger tank for sure, Molly's grow to about 3 inches and you have Evan way to many in that tank With just the adults. Also do u have a a heater in the tank bucause Molly's like warmer than room temperature water

Welcome to the forum :hi:

Definitely get a bigger tank, a 30 gallon sounds a great start! 30G is the minimum tank size for Mollies and with your breeding, you're definitely going to need it.

You're also going to have to get a bigger tank for your Angelfish, their minimum is 3ft long a 45cm (18") tall. 
If you don't upgrade (or rehome) him soon, he will become stunted, which is very painful for the fish and causes them to have a shorter life span. Often what happens is the body of the fish will stop growing but the organs won't :/
The Blue Gourami will be fine in the 20G I think.

Do you have some pictures of your tanks? I'd love to see them! :snap:

lepackt-  yeah, I have a heater set to about 76-80 degrees.

Blondielovesfish- my angel has lived in a 20 gallon tank for 3 years and is around 6 inches, and I had another angel that lived in a 10 gallon tank for over 4 years and was around 6 inches as well when he died... both with no problem, I really can't afford 2 new tanks!

I'm actually in the process of talking with someone to meet up so I can buy their old 37 gallon tank (and stand) from them, I figure that'll be big enough for the mollies. 
biggrin.png

I'll take some pictures in a bit and upload them!

here is my 10 gallon molly tank:
10GTank.jpg
and the mollies:
Mollies1.jpg
Mollies4.jpg
(the black male and silver female aren't pictured.)

and here is the 20 gallon tank:
20GTank.jpg
I couldn't get the angel or gourami out to take a picture!

Nice tanks! Love the Mollies!

As harsh as it sounds, Angels really have no place in a 10 or 20 gallon. They need a tank that is at least 3 feet long and 18" high. Although yours might be fine for now, it could have really bad long term health effects if kept in that tank!

I'm not completely sure, but you might be able to have the Mollies and the Angel together in the 37G (not completely sure on this).

I'm really sorry if this sounds harsh but its whats best for the fish.

Also, if the Mollies and the Angelfish can't be together and you can't get another tank, you might have to rehome the Angel to a suitable tank :/

Blondielovesfish- thanks, I think they can go together in a tank, so hopefully I'll get the tank soon.

also, Blondielovesfish- the 20 gallon tank I have now is about 16 inches tall and I'm pretty sure the angel is done growing since she is at least 3 years old (although my mom thinks she's almost 5).  
biggrin.png

Blondielovesfish said:

As harsh as it sounds, Angels really have no place in a 10 or 20 gallon. They need a tank that is at least 3 feet long and 18" high. Although yours might be fine for now, it could have really bad long term health effects if kept in that tank!

I'm not completely sure, but you might be able to have the Mollies and the Angel together in the 37G (not completely sure on this).

Also, if the Mollies and the Angelfish can't be together and you can't get another tank, you might have to rehome the Angel to a suitable tank
confused.gif
Id worry about mixing mollies and angels,both fish have long fins and the angels are less active then the mollies.Given the long fins part, they could easily nip each other and have some aggression issues.Personally i dont recommend mixing angels with any Poeciliidae species excluding maybe platies.

ncguppy830- oh, okay, so then no angels and mollies in the same tank.  Thank you for letting us know! 
biggrin.png

ncguppy830 said:

Also, if the Mollies and the Angelfish can't be together and you can't get another tank, you might have to rehome the Angel to a suitable tank
confused.gif
Id worry about mixing mollies and angels,both fish have long fins and the angels are less active then the mollies.Given the long fins part, they could easily nip each other and have some aggression issues.Personally i dont recommend mixing angels with any Poeciliidae species excluding maybe platies.

Okay, it was just a suggestion to save the OP from buying another tank/rehoming.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back