Molly Help Please!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jj17

Reaction score
One of my mollys has her mouth wide open, like its not closing at all, breathing a bit faster than the others. shes still swimming around, occasionally tipping over to one side where the fin doesnt seem to be as powerful as the other side. can anyone please offer advice? is there any way i can help her are we likely to lose her?

Attachments

• AE7EE8DA-44AE-443D-8B70-261D142B28F7.jpeg
    AE7EE8DA-44AE-443D-8B70-261D142B28F7.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 71
Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or until we work out what is going on.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ cchloramine before it's added to the tank.

Look at the fish's mouth from front on and see if there is anything lodged in its mouth.
The fish might have dislocated its jaw, it might have an infection in the mouth or it could be dying.

just gravel cleaned and water changed last night, 30% and readings were clear after, mouth and gills are clear. she was absolutely fine when i saw her this morning and at 2pm so dislocation sounds possible just not sure how. she’s my oldest molly and i’ll be gutted to lose her ☹️

Is there any food, gravel, or anything in her mouth? It could suffocate her, check quickly.

thanks guys, i had checked her mouth and gills and all was clear. now at 8pm her mouth is closed and seems to be working as it should, she’s trying to pick up food from the floor. as for the balance, assuming swim bladder and going to try quarantine and treat her now.

thanks guys, i had checked her mouth and gills and all was clear. now at 8pm her mouth is closed and seems to be working as it should, she’s trying to pick up food from the floor. as for the balance, assuming swim bladder and going to try quarantine and treat her now.
Hope you good luck ;)

unfortunately she started hemorrhaging last night, can only assume it was from being stuck practically upside down and she passed away ☹️ will continue to treat the rest of the tank and hope nobody else goes the same way ☹️

Oh, sorry to hear... :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back