Molly Fry,help Please !

Alind

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well after a long time a very heartly hello to Oldman,Hearlequin,LivebearerMaster and all members.
Actually it started with 59 fry and now 26 remained.

I change water frequently and feed them twice but only few are growing properly,
all fry are of same age (4 months old) but still some are
this big _____ and some are this big _______________ .
Please tell me what can i do for them stillin in every 4-5 day's a fry or two die's.

And this was not enought as one of my big fry just get swollen, one fry earlier swollen did'nt survived for long.
So please tell me what can i do?

Alind Billore

Hi Alind

Good to see you back :)

All fry,well yours are now juveniles at 4 months old,grow at different rates,some get more food than others,

Are all 26 still in the small tank?

I know you say you're doing waterchanges,but have you tested the water for ammonia & nitrite,they're getting bigger now,what filter do you have on the tank?

Swollen fish could be overeating or possibly bad water conditions,did their scales stick out on the ones that died?

A concern that I would have is how often the water changes are happening. The smaller the tank, the more often a water change is needed. It is not just to remove nitrogen but also helps remove the growth inhibiting hormones that the larger fish release into the water. That is one of the reasons that the smaller juveniles never seem to catch up with their siblings.

Hi Alind

Good to see you back :)

All fry,well yours are now juveniles at 4 months old,grow at different rates,some get more food than others,

Are all 26 still in the small tank?

I know you say you're doing waterchanges,but have you tested the water for ammonia & nitrite,they're getting bigger now,what filter do you have on the tank?

Swollen fish could be overeating or possibly bad water conditions,did their scales stick out on the ones that died?

yes mam,No here i am not having any equipment for measuring water statistics, but now i am changing water in every 3 days before this month i used to do that in evry 2 days.
And i had a sponge filter(mechanical filter) but removed it couple of weeks ago.

Yes mam,the scales of the one who died were grown very much thicker and looks a bit raised from the skin level.

A concern that I would have is how often the water changes are happening. The smaller the tank, the more often a water change is needed. It is not just to remove nitrogen but also helps remove the growth inhibiting hormones that the larger fish release into the water. That is one of the reasons that the smaller juveniles never seem to catch up with their siblings.

Sir, you are Absolutely right sir, i change water in 3 days now as we are getting a littile scarce of water here, but your words that growth inhibiting hormones are released in water just hit me very clearly.
Now tomorrow i will keep the small juveniles in a seperate container, will it be ok?

I request both of you to
please tell me what to do next!

I really wanna do something for the swollen fish, she is really very close to my heart as she is my child.

If the sponge filter was the only filter in there and you have removed it,basically you have took out the 'heart' of the tank.

The filter is the most important part of your tank,and removing has made your water quality bad,losing fish is probably due to ammonia & nitrite in the water,unless you do large w/c daily you will lose more fish :sad:

Once the scales on a fish have raised up and they are swollen,unfortunately theres not alot to be done for them,again this may be caused to poor water conditions.

Can you put your filter back in? it won't be cycled now,so daily w/c is still necessary,but in time it will cycle again.

Good luck.

If the sponge filter was the only filter in there and you have removed it,basically you have took out the 'heart' of the tank.

The filter is the most important part of your tank,and removing has made your water quality bad,losing fish is probably due to ammonia & nitrite in the water,unless you do large w/c daily you will lose more fish :sad:

Once the scales on a fish have raised up and they are swollen,unfortunately theres not alot to be done for them,again this may be caused to poor water conditions.

Can you put your filter back in? it won't be cycled now,so daily w/c is still necessary,but in time it will cycle again.

Good luck.

Mam, i have reinstalled the filter, now please tell me what can i do more to save them ?

yes mam, i am doing daily water change!!

But i wanna say one thing,

Growing fry's is not a cup of every men's tea !

i agree, growing the fry can be stressing and difficult at the best of times

Hello every one!!
again i am here with one problem.
I thought my 4 month old juveniles are big enough to be in a tank with other fish(Rosy Barb, Mollies)
i put them just for 15 min their but i thought i should again put them back in their tank.
But in those fifteen a accident happened !!
One juveniles intestine was hanging!!
i kept him alone in a 7 gallon tank with Very good water quality.
What can i do to help him?
Please help!

HI Alind

Unfortunately theres not a lot to be done for it if the intestine is hanging out,if it hasn't already passed away,it would be kinder to put it too sleep :sad:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back