Molly Fish Stuck on Filter Inlet

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

styla12

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My Molly fish this morning I woke up and was stuck to the filter inlet. I released it but now it's struggling swimming looks like it will die soon.

I have a Fluval 307 Canister which is quite a strong inlet as it cycles 1150Lph. Is the filter too strong so I should put some sponge around it?

What should I do?

Attachments

• IMG_20200328_140701.jpg
    IMG_20200328_140701.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 1,478
You could use some sponge or a filter sock or nylon sock.
Having said that most the time when a fish gets stuck to the filter inlet its because its in a weakened stage, its a common misconception that the fish getting stuck to the inlet was the cause of death when in most cases the fish was sick or dying and couldnt swim properly anymore and thus got stuck to the filter.
Check you water for ammonia nitrites nitrates, couldnt hurt to do a water change and if it gives you peace of mind put something around the inlet.

You could use some sponge or a filter sock or nylon sock.
Having said that most the time when a fish gets stuck to the filter inlet its because its in a weakened stage, its a common misconception that the fish getting stuck to the inlet was the cause of death when in most cases the fish was sick or dying and couldnt swim properly anymore and thus got stuck to the filter.
Check you water for ammonia nitrites nitrates, couldnt hurt to do a water change and if it gives you peace of mind put something around the inlet.
Thing is my water parameters are perfect I have no ammonia or nitrites and Nitrates at 20.

Yesterday the fish was completely fine and eating all the food. Not sure what went wrong...maybe just a natural death?

Thing is my water parameters are perfect I have no ammonia or nitrites and Nitrates at 20.

Yesterday the fish was completely fine and eating all the food. Not sure what went wrong...maybe just a natural death?
20 is a bit high on nitrates but not awful. Is your water soft or hard? Also what tank mates?

Added to the tank about 1 month ago. I added it alongside 3 other mollies.
Maybe it had an underlying sickness before, parasite or something else that weakened it over time. Sometimes its tough to tell. Sounds like your water and tank mates and size of aquarium are all non stressors. Only other possibility is it was getting picked on. Was it a female or male molly that died?

Reason i ask is males will pick on females if the ratio of males to females is off. Ratio of 1 Male for every 3 Females is generally recommended.

It was a male buddy.

Guess it just wasn't well since my other mollies and fish all seem very happy.
Was it the only Male? males with the lack of enough females will pick on other males competing for females. If the ratio is off too many males not enough females chaos and destruction will ensue:)

Was it the only Male? males with the lack of enough females will pick on other males competing for females. If the ratio is off too many males not enough females chaos and destruction will ensue:)
I had 3 females and 3 males so now down to 2 males. Guess that could be the underlying reason? Though I never ever witnessed it fighting or anything always seemed in peace .

I had 3 females and 3 males so now down to 2 males. Guess that could be the underlying reason? Though I never ever witnessed it fighting or anything always seemed in peace .
Yup sounds like it. Id suggest getting more females or trading in the male for another female. Keep the ratio at 3 females for every male. Unless one doesnt want babies just get all females.

Sorry about your fish, that sucks, the fish store should know better than to sell you improper ratios, sadly most dont or dont care:(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back