MOLLY FALLING APART

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Anye

Reaction score
idk what is up with my black molly, his skin seems to be soaking off/peeling all over his body, he hangs out in the water shaking his body otherwise he is acting normal, he seems to have fin rot but every time i've seen fin rot its on all my mollies not just one
all my other mollys in the tank are perfectly fine except this one

Welcome to TFF.

Before members will be able to offer advice, we will need to know more about the aquarium and fish.

What are the water parameters, which refers to GH (general or total hardness), pH, temperature? The GH you can probably get from your municipal water supplier.

Have you tested the tank water for ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, and if yes, what were the numbers?

What is the tank size? What fish are in the tank? How long has it been set up? How long have you had this molly?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Besides what the others have said, the biggest cause of excess mucous on fish is poor water quality. Fish have a thin layer of clear mucous over their body to help them move thru the water. When they are stressed out from chemicals or poor water quality, they produce more mucous and it looks like the fish is covered in a creamy/ white film. The excess mucous can lift off the fish and look like it is shedding skin.

The best thing to do is test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH (and GH if possible) and write the results down and post them on here. Then do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean each day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

If the water quality is fine and there is no ammonia or nitrite, and the nitrate is less than 20ppm, and the pH is above 7.0, and there is no improvement in the fish after 2 big water changes, then it is most likely a protozoan infection. However, 99% of the time it is poor water quality and big daily water changes will make a difference within 24-48 hours.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back