MOLLY DISEASE

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

CamG369

Reaction score
Hi

I saw today that my white molly was lifeless at the bottom of the tank. Noticing this I got a net to remove her only for her to dart away and then begin spinning and sinking upsides down. I know this is likely swim bladder however there is also red markings, almost like a rash, just before the tail fin

Any help would be greatly appreciated in regards of how to proceed

How long has the tank been set up for?
How long have you had the fish for?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the tank when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and GH of the tank water?

What sort of filter do you have?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

Have you added anything new (fish, plants, wood, etc) to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?
Do you add plant fertilisers, supplements or anything else to the tank?
Are there any other fishes in the tank?

--------------------------
Any chance of a picture and short 30 second video of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

--------------------------
This is not a swim bladder problem.

When fish spiral/ spin through the water, they have a protozoan or bacterial infection in the brain. It's normally protozoan and is regularly caused by poor water quality or a dirty environment. Bacterial infections are normally caused by the same things.

Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and GH. Post the results in numbers here. If you don't have test kits, take a glass full of tank water to the local pet shop and see if they can test it for you. If they do test it, write the results down in numbers. If the shop says the water is fine, ask them what the results are in numbers.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 2 weeks. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.
If you have to take a water sample to the pet shop, take a sample of the tank water and put it to one side, then do the 75% water change and gravel clean, then get the water tested.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. However, do not clean the filter if it is less than 6 weeks old because you can mess up the filter cycle.

Hi I will post all of that shortly however I might have put it across the wrong way

It spun when it tried to swim away. It's not swimming and spinning, and the moment its alive but upside down, not moving

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back