Molly acting strange; going vertical

MollyFishMomma

Reaction score
Help needed, pleaseā€¦
New to fish keeping. I have a 37 gallon tank with four female mollies and one male molly. 2 of the females and the male, Iā€™ve had for about 4 months. The other 2 females are new additions, added just this week. One of them at seemingly random goes completely vertical and floats that way for a few seconds before correcting herself and going back horizontal. Iā€™ve added a picture of her doing this vertical thing. I also have video but couldnā€™t add it here. Any ideas?

Attachments

• B2201C6F-00A0-4F6D-97F7-630589C049CB.jpeg
    B2201C6F-00A0-4F6D-97F7-630589C049CB.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 25
I noticed one of my female platies doing something similar shortly before she had babies. I'm not 100% sure it was related, but after she gave birth she stopped doing the vertical thing.

I noticed one of my female platies doing something similar shortly before she had babies. I'm not 100% sure it was related, but after she gave birth she stopped doing the vertical thing.
My orange female did something similar before she had her fry, but she started it close to when she had them. If this fish is pregnant, I think she is newly pregnant as I havenā€™t noticed any gravid spot darkening. Did your guppy do it her whole pregnancy? Or just at the end?

My orange female did something similar before she had her fry, but she started it close to when she had them. If this fish is pregnant, I think she is newly pregnant as I havenā€™t noticed any gravid spot darkening. Did your guppy do it her whole pregnancy? Or just at the end?
Just at the end. She started doing that within an hour or two of giving birth.

It can be something that has got to do with her swim bladder. When pregnant, sometimes the developing embryos take more place internally and then the swim bladder get tightened which can cause this way of upward swimming. Once she drops fry, the swim bladder will go to the correct position again.

It can be something that has got to do with her swim bladder. When pregnant, sometimes the developing embryos take more place internally and then the swim bladder get tightened which can cause this way of upward swimming. Once she drops fry, the swim bladder will go to the correct position again.
Thank you. Iā€™m going to give her some time and just keep a close eye on her.

Most reactions

trending

Back