Molly about to give birth

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sathish1982

Reaction score
Could anyone please help me how long does a molly take to deliver fries once the squared belly is formed. It has been hiding and not eating well, so I separated that in a breeder box within the same rank.
20221214_220258.jpg
20221214_093356.jpg

Once she starts dropping the first fry, it can take a few minutes but also a day. That's really hard to determine no matter how big she is. This won't give you a good estimate but this is how it works with these fish.

Thanks. My actual question is when can I expect her delivering fries. Based on the picture (that was taken yesterday)

She might not drop them if she’s in a breeding trap. Those awful things cause even more stress and can make them miscarry. Best to leave her in the main tank with bushy plants near the surface that she and the fry can hide in.
Breeding traps keep them in full view, with nowhere to hide, which is very stressful for a mother about to give birth. Put her back in the main tank and let her hide. :)

Yeah! I’d recommend putting her back! When I first started fish keeping, I tried putting livebearers in a breeding box, which was a net box in the main tank. Never got a single fry drop while they were in there. And every lady that I tried in the net, without fail, died shortly after they eventually went into labor.

So even though it’s a pain, leaving her in the main tank and taking the time to net out the fry is the way to go if you have somewhere for them.

Fish can hold their fry long after their expected due date or abort at the push of a button if they feel stressed. So it’s best just to leave the lady where she’s most comfortable.

If it’s in the cards for you, you should invest in a pregnancy tank to put the pregnant ladies in a week or so before their due date. Doesn’t have to be too big, but it gives them a place to birth in peace and keeps the fry in a confined space.

Thanks. My actual question is when can I expect her delivering fries. Based on the picture (that was taken yesterday)
I know what you mean. Squaring off is "mostly" a sign that she's close to drop her fry. But experience tells me also that it doesn't have to be that she'll drop this fry soon when being squared off. Mollies are known to hold on to those fry longer than expected. That's why I gave you my former reply.

Btw, if you want to put her separately because you have other fish that could be a threat to those fry, you could put the female also in a bucket when you don't have another tank. That's how I work if other fish could be a threat. Otherwise, I let them be born in their regular tank.

Looks like the belly is growing bigger. Just wanted to make sure if this is normal ?

Attachments

• 20221219_230526.jpg
    20221219_230526.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 32
I agree with the others who said take her out of the box, sorry, it's very stressful to them. From their perspective they are "out in the open" with nowhere to hide while vulnerable and having babies. Better to let her have them in the tank, and if some get eaten, well...that's not the end of the world. With livebearers, eventually you have more than you can handle unless you're selling them or have lots of tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back