FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Medusa313

Reaction score
Iā€™ve had my all black molly since about may 2019... and Iā€™ve had other mollies and guppies(I have two tanks). But some of the previous group didnā€™t make it. Anyways back to my point, my black molly is male while my two newer Dalmatian mollies are female. One has more spots than the other(so she appears darker) so I can tell them apart. My lighter female just had fry like 4 days ago and only one survived... But my problem is, my male wonā€™t leave the lighter female alone even tho the darker female will be right in front on his face. She tries to hide( I have a lot of stuff for her to hide In because sometimes I canā€™t even find her). I just donā€™t know what to do at this point. Heā€™s being a teenage boy and it frustrates me because I feel like sheā€™s becoming very stressed. I donā€™t know if maybe I should move her to my main tank away from him or will it just make her more stressed? How do I get him to breed with the darker female? Could I use one of the breeder boxes or is that a horrible idea?

A ratio of more females to the male might help, but if the male is intent there is not much we can do to change it. Remove the male would be preferable to removing one female, as his attentions might then all be directed at the female left with him. But you are correct, when a male livebearer continues driving a female it can frequently kill her.

Breeder boxes should never be used with adult fish, and especially mollies.

common livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies) should be kept in single sex tanks to prevent harassment.

if the male has been with the female for a few days or longer, she will probably be carrying sperm packets from him.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back