Mollies wiggling in one corner of the tank (one specific corner)(pls help)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This was the same tank just a few months ago... all the fish look super thin and sickly and you have a baby Koi in the tank and a bunch of other species that don't go together.

The tank is now devoid of most/all of these fish... you claim your LFS doesn't accept returns and the fish don't look healthy so one can assume what happened to them. If you claim you were able to give all these away, then surely you can give away your current fish too to prevent them all from dying until you can afford the proper items for their care.

I'm sorry but it is obvious you really aren't well informed or well equipped enough to keep fish at this time. At this point - the thread just seems like it's going on for no reason. The current mollies will likely die like the others (shops don't get them at a year old BTW, yours didn't grow because your tank conditions weren't right for them to grow).

The store owner is just lying to you to suit his purposes and we are telling you this and you are refusing to believe it. He likely lied to you about your water conditions too!! This is what happens when you don't have your own test kit, you simply cannot be sure the numbers are accurate.

Now - I will ACTUALLY bow out of this thread permanently. Just felt the need to say that since OP really doesn't seem to be listening.

This was the same tank just a few months ago... all the fish look super thin and sickly and you have a baby Koi in the tank and a bunch of other species that don't go together.

The tank is now devoid of most/all of these fish... you claim your LFS doesn't accept returns and the fish don't look healthy so one can assume what happened to them. If you claim you were able to give all these away, then surely you can give away your current fish too to prevent them all from dying until you can afford the proper items for their care.

I'm sorry but it is obvious you really aren't well informed or well equipped enough to keep fish at this time. At this point - the thread just seems like it's going on for no reason. The current mollies will likely die like the others (shops don't get them at a year old BTW, yours didn't grow because your tank conditions weren't right for them to grow).

The store owner is just lying to you to suit his purposes and we are telling you this and you are refusing to believe it. He likely lied to you about your water conditions too!! This is what happens when you don't have your own test kit, you simply cannot be sure the numbers are accurate.

Now - I will ACTUALLY bow out of this thread permanently. Just felt the need to say that since OP really doesn't seem to be listening.
yes i understand your anger....i saw your comment in youtube...i am not buying any more fish....this will be the last set i will be having....

let me restart this again when i can have all the equipment...

i gave away the mollies to the shopkeeper....now my tank only has the koi and rainbows....which noone is offering to take

"All my fishies in my tank loves to cuddle with my finger for pats...I know this is kinda not normal, but my fishies do this cuddling only for my finger and stay as far away as they can for other people's finger"

"All my fishies in my tank loves to cuddle with my finger for pats...I know this is kinda not normal, but my fishies do this cuddling only for my finger and stay as far away as they can for other people's finger"
here is my question

i live in a country where people want to have fish...but dont give a crap about caring them...alll they know is...get a random tank...pour some tap water...and put random fish in there

so there is this apartment next to my house...they have a fish tank outside the security room under direct sun....that is a 5G tank with around 30 mollies...no gravel...no filter....no plants....nothing....and the mollies there are gasping at the surface...i have never seen them change the water too...as the apartment is next to my house...i can give you the value of the TDS and pH...its 1100 and 9.2....

I have seen a few other tanks...i went to a restaurant where they had 2 tanks....exact same of mine....one had around 8 classic goldfishes(around 6 inches long) no gravel and a malfunctioning filter ...the other tank had 4 sharks...around a feet long with a working filter...and no gravel..

One of my mom's friend had around 5 gauramis in a 10G tank...but with a proper filter and substrate...when i asked them what is the TDS or pH of the water...the basically had no idea wth i am tanking bout...

you see...when i started this hobby...i used to shop is a different LFS....thats where i got one of my shubunkins.....i still remember the water from which the shubunkin was tanken...it was completely gray...almost opaque...he came from there...he was completely stressed when i brought him home...and that guy in the shop misleaded me telling that the goldfish goes well with danios...and the danios nipped this fish like there is no tomorrow....so i rehomed the danios to one of my friend (crazy when it comes to this hobby...has 5 tanks...well maintained....and he is the only one i have seen with a well maintained tank)...he accepted to take the danios...

clearly people here dont care about any of the "values" we guys care....according to them "fish used to live in ponds...so they can live in tanks without any aid"....you would very rarely find a tank in india which has a actualy living plant....leave alone plants...basic needs like gravel would be missing in most of the tanks here

my simple question is

WHAT ARE THE ODDS THAT THE FISHES I REHOMED TO THE LFS WONT END UP IN ANY OF THE ABOVE TANKS OR SIMILAR ONES?

i understand your anger that i am having incompatible fish...in a smaller tank....but i am concerned about the worst...if i return these to the LFS they might end up in similar tanks....where the owner has -1000 knowledge in fishkeeping

think more widely.....I AM TRYING MY BEST TO GIVE THEM THE BEST...THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT EVEN TRYING....DO YOU WANT THESE GUYS TO END UP IN THE HANDS OF THOSE PEOPLE...THIS AINT CUMBRIA WHERE PPL MIGHT CONSIDER A FISH TOO AS A LIVING THING AND HAS FEELINGS.....REHOMING THEM WILL NOT SAVE THEM.....YOU ARE SIMPLY PUTTING THEM IN DOOM....I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT OTHER COUNTRIES...BUT HERE THIS IS THE CASE

I NOW GOT A KIT...RECENTLY DID A WATER TEST EVERYDAY....AND I FOUND THE VALUE GOOD ENOUGH....NO SPIKES IN ANYTHING.....

SO WHAT IS THE ISSUE HERE?
1.MY TANK IS SMALL
problems caused by small tanks
1.bad water quality---check...my water is good enough
2.no space for them to swim----currently there is a lot of space for them to swim (atleast better than the tank with the sharks)
3.fish might get territorial and fight...causing stress-----no fights in my tank...all are peaceful with each other
2.I DID NOT HAVE A KIT-----solved...i have one now

3. TEMPERATURE ISSUES---i cannot make water cooler...coz i live in a tropical country....but when the temp goes out of control...i ensure that a stable temp gets maintained...

4.feed them?----i just dont feed them pellets...i give them veggies like peas...fruits like papaya..i give them bloodworms....while most people out here think that the pellet food is the ULTIMATE FISH FOOD

Do the best you can with the resources you have. If your fish don't survive, just don't get more. It doesn't help to add to the problem of bad fish keeping. That's all we are saying. I've done some looking around and fish keeping definitely is different in some areas around the world.

In a country where this is considered good fish keeping...

What an absolute nightmare!!

I guess the fact that you are at least trying is good. We meant no harm, we simply are going to try and do what is best for the welfare of the animals. And that's that.

Do the best you can with the resources you have. If your fish don't survive, just don't get more. It doesn't help to add to the problem of bad fish keeping. That's all we are saying. I've done some looking around and fish keeping definitely is different in some areas around the world.

In a country where this is considered good fish keeping...

What an absolute nightmare!!

I guess the fact that you are at least trying is good. We meant no harm, we simply are going to try and do what is best for the welfare of the animals. And that's that.
thats a tank from india....as i told before....

i just cannot give the best for them to thrive...but i gave give them more than enough to live happily...here thrive in sense..you having a billion dollar lifestyle...and live happily in sense...having good enough to run a daily life

i think @Bruce Leyland-Jones has not seen any bad tanks....

here is my question

i live in a country where people want to have fish...but dont give a crap about caring them...alll they know is...get a random tank...pour some tap water...and put random fish in there

so there is this apartment next to my house...they have a fish tank outside the security room under direct sun....that is a 5G tank with around 30 mollies...no gravel...no filter....no plants....nothing....and the mollies there are gasping at the surface...i have never seen them change the water too...as the apartment is next to my house...i can give you the value of the TDS and pH...its 1100 and 9.2....

I have seen a few other tanks...i went to a restaurant where they had 2 tanks....exact same of mine....one had around 8 classic goldfishes(around 6 inches long) no gravel and a malfunctioning filter ...the other tank had 4 sharks...around a feet long with a working filter...and no gravel..

One of my mom's friend had around 5 gauramis in a 10G tank...but with a proper filter and substrate...when i asked them what is the TDS or pH of the water...the basically had no idea wth i am tanking bout...

you see...when i started this hobby...i used to shop is a different LFS....thats where i got one of my shubunkins.....i still remember the water from which the shubunkin was tanken...it was completely gray...almost opaque...he came from there...he was completely stressed when i brought him home...and that guy in the shop misleaded me telling that the goldfish goes well with danios...and the danios nipped this fish like there is no tomorrow....so i rehomed the danios to one of my friend (crazy when it comes to this hobby...has 5 tanks...well maintained....and he is the only one i have seen with a well maintained tank)...he accepted to take the danios...

clearly people here dont care about any of the "values" we guys care....according to them "fish used to live in ponds...so they can live in tanks without any aid"....you would very rarely find a tank in india which has a actualy living plant....leave alone plants...basic needs like gravel would be missing in most of the tanks here

my simple question is

WHAT ARE THE ODDS THAT THE FISHES I REHOMED TO THE LFS WONT END UP IN ANY OF THE ABOVE TANKS OR SIMILAR ONES?

i understand your anger that i am having incompatible fish...in a smaller tank....but i am concerned about the worst...if i return these to the LFS they might end up in similar tanks....where the owner has -1000 knowledge in fishkeeping

think more widely.....I AM TRYING MY BEST TO GIVE THEM THE BEST...THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT EVEN TRYING....DO YOU WANT THESE GUYS TO END UP IN THE HANDS OF THOSE PEOPLE...THIS AINT CUMBRIA WHERE PPL MIGHT CONSIDER A FISH TOO AS A LIVING THING AND HAS FEELINGS.....REHOMING THEM WILL NOT SAVE THEM.....YOU ARE SIMPLY PUTTING THEM IN DOOM....I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT OTHER COUNTRIES...BUT HERE THIS IS THE CASE

I NOW GOT A KIT...RECENTLY DID A WATER TEST EVERYDAY....AND I FOUND THE VALUE GOOD ENOUGH....NO SPIKES IN ANYTHING.....
It’s a hard situation for you, we get it.

Not easy to do something about your tank situation when your own area are not being helpful at all.

We can only but give advice and ideas which does not help your situation at the moment but you are learning and that’s the first step. It’s a situation that is hard to avoid in countries like this.

All I can say is, just do your very best for the fish that you have, that’s all we can ask of you and I wish you good luck with this.

Keep up the good work you can.

It’s a hard situation for you, we get it.

Not easy to do something about your tank situation when your own area are not being helpful at all.

We can only but give advice and ideas which does not help your situation at the moment but you are learning and that’s the first step. It’s a situation that is hard to avoid in countries like this.

All I can say is, just do your very best for the fish that you have, that’s all we can ask of you and I wish you good luck with this.

Keep up the good work you can.
maybe i was a bit too harsh....sorry about that...i understand that you guys are talking for the well being...

If there is enough oxygen in the water, overstocking can theoretically be safely done, but you are either condemning the fish to high nitrates or yourself to much more frequent water changes than you would otherwise need.

And if we are honest many people in USA and UK are no better than what you describe of Indian fish keepers, we just don't see them on this site; hopefully they read threads like this though...

If there is enough oxygen in the water, overstocking can theoretically be safely done, but you are either condemning the fish to high nitrates or yourself to much more frequent water changes than you would otherwise need.

And if we are honest many people in USA and UK are no better than what you describe of Indian fish keepers, we just don't see them on this site; hopefully they read threads like this though...
i basically have 2 filters in my tank....a power filter and a overhead filter.....during the day time i only run the overhead filter (also has a air pump) while at nights both the power filter and the overhead filter runs at the same time....these is plenty of aeration...(i assume that a lot of tiny bubbles is aeration here)...i used to use the power filter as a backup filter when these is a low voltage at my house....but then now i am using that as a part of my filtration system...and it does a great job in aeration compared to the overhead filter (i again assume aeration means those tiny bubbles in the water)

i think you can see those tiny bubbles around...i think that is what you mean by aeration (ps this video was taken like more than a year back...before removing the anchorworm on the eye of the fish shown in the video....i just showed it here to give you an idea what i understood by aeration)

after getting the kit....i never saw nitrites go more than 0ppm and nitrates exceed 10ppm for some reason....is this safe...or should the nitrates should also be at 0ppm....its been a week since i did a water change and i tested the water this morning...i did not really see any values change...anyways i am planning to do a 50% change today

maybe yes...people might exist.....but i am 100% sure that cannot be at a large scale like here.. 95% of the people who i know having a tank have no idea on how to maintain a fishtank...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back