Mollies wiggling in one corner of the tank (one specific corner)(pls help)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The guy at the shop is stuck in 1975. :rolleyes:
It is an old myth that fish will grow to the size of their tank, like your goldfish.
Whilst the outsides may stop growing, there is a very strong suggestion that their insides keep on growing and you can guess the rest. :(

Balloon Molly lifespans are the same as their non-Balloon relatives...3-5 years, in the right water conditions.
Your fish did not die of 'old age'...they'd died of poor conditions. :(

"...He accepted that my tank is overstocked...but not the worst one..."

But he still wouldn't help you out by taking some fish back.
He may have been a vet, but he is an ex-vet and is out to make money out of people like you.

Keep on with the water changes. :cool:

You can follow the advice you wish to follow. If age was a factor then the new ones wouldn't be behaving the same way and they wouldn't have all died in succession like that.

And yes the Shubunkin is the max size he will grow in your environment, but they grow larger when in ponds. He may still live a normal life, but he isn't in the right environment.

Don't be surprised when, if something happens to your current stock, the "vet" tells you that you did nothing wrong and quickly just sells you more fish.

Taking a quick look at your channel, it seems that same tank has had many sick/dying fish in it over the past few months. There's no data to support it being a healthy tank for years.

With that said, I will pull from this thread and bid you much luck with your fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the consensus here is listen to the members here. I agree with Bruce - this "vet" is an ex vet, that gets a great income from you - he is there to make money and probably see's dollar signs in his eyes when you walk in, so will continue to tell you everything is great and sell you more fish.

I think this thread is pretty much done. A good number of vastly experienced members have advised you on what you need to do, so its now up to you to decide on how to proceed. I hope you take the advice we have given and get those fish re-homed to a more suitable tank, close it down and learn all you can so when you are able to afford all the basics (test kits being key items) you can enjoy the hobby as we do. This is by no means a criticism, but LFS are notorius for bad advice and taking your money - its the same in the UK, USA and obviously India.

I wish you all the best going forward and look forward to seeing a great looking tank, appropriately stocked!

I think the consensus here is listen to the members here. I agree with Bruce - this "vet" is an ex vet, that gets a great income from you - he is there to make money and probably see's dollar signs in his eyes when you walk in, so will continue to tell you everything is great and sell you more fish.

I think this thread is pretty much done. A good number of vastly experienced members have advised you on what you need to do, so its now up to you to decide on how to proceed. I hope you take the advice we have given and get those fish re-homed to a more suitable tank, close it down and learn all you can so when you are able to afford all the basics (test kits being key items) you can enjoy the hobby as we do. This is by no means a criticism, but LFS are notorius for bad advice and taking your money - its the same in the UK, USA and obviously India.

I wish you all the best going forward and look forward to seeing a great looking tank, appropriately stocked!
okay...imma stop this hobby right now.....noone wants to take these fishes...that guy offered to take the mollies alone...he told he had stopped getting rainbows and already has a lot of the shubunkins already...so i have to have them till they die....will try my best to keep them happy

Last edited:
You can follow the advice you wish to follow. If age was a factor then the new ones wouldn't be behaving the same way and they wouldn't have all died in succession like that.

And yes the Shubunkin is the max size he will grow in your environment, but they grow larger when in ponds. He may still live a normal life, but he isn't in the right environment.

Don't be surprised when, if something happens to your current stock, the "vet" tells you that you did nothing wrong and quickly just sells you more fish.

Taking a quick look at your channel, it seems that same tank has had many sick/dying fish in it over the past few months. There's no data to support it being a healthy tank for years.

With that said, I will pull from this thread and bid you much luck with your fish.
the new ones only wiggle before i feed them...they stop wiggling after that and stay normal.....

i dont get it....like what are the fish which are sick...the first "MY CARP IS INACTIVE" is because of compatibility issue with danios...like i used to get fish from another shop(when i had no experience in fish keeping)...they told danios do well with shubunkins...and all they did was nip the tails of the shubunkins...fortunately i found a person who accepted to take the danios....and my shubunkin is happy now

i then uploaded 2 videos of mollies sleeping....

then videos of my whole tank....and 3 videos of athena wiggling

like yes...i had sick fish....i had 2 mollies die of swim bladder (even tho i fast them once a week,feed them veggies like peas)...one of the danio died of dropsy...thankfully i isolated it before it spread to the others....like the molly deaths were the one which i am not able to understand...maybe my water condition was bad back then...but is it still bad even now?...pls dont take me like i am fighting...i am just confused....like are the values i mentioned above is an indication that my water is bad? I have put the latest reading below...pls check that and tell whether is it bad

Last edited:
It is an old myth that fish will grow to the size of their tank, like your goldfish.
Whilst the outsides may stop growing, there is a very strong suggestion that their insides keep on growing and you can guess the rest. :(

Balloon Molly lifespans are the same as their non-Balloon relatives...3-5 years, in the right water conditions.

He may have been a vet, but he is an ex-vet and is out to make money out of people like you.

he did not tell the fish grow to the size of their tank...he told that most fishes reach their max physical growth before they reach the shops( i have bought fish from many shops and only the first shubunkin i got has grown in size...while the others never grew in size)....like the mollies i get here are around 1 year old...while from what i read from google (if its right) mollies reach their max size before they are around 10 months...

the thing is that he stopped getting rainbows and shubunkins....he last got rainbows like a year back...the same time when i got mine....

after some talk he accepted to get the mollies tho....he was ok with the mollies....so i would still have the shubunkin and the rainbow in my tank

he told that initially used to accept fish returns...but people brought in a lot of sick fish (sick coz of the mistakes done by the owners....like overfeeding and causing SBD...give away fish with contagious diseases) and they demanded money too....so from then he stopped accepting returns

Last edited:

so how is my water right now?? Is it bad ??

i did a water change on 10th sep and these are the results after 5 days of the water change

if this is good....and if i can maintain the same readings...will be fish be happy?

p.s I added tap water yesterday and the TDS right now is 350 with a pH of 7.2 (i use a litmus paper for the pH readings and a electronic TDS metre)

AMMONIA 0 PPM
NITRITE 0PPM
NITRATE 10PPM
PH 7.2
TDS 350

readings taken today morning before feeding

also I forgot to mention that he offered to give me the API test kit hes using for free(the one wth 2 ammonia liquid bottles , 2 nitrite liquid bottles and 1 nitrate liquid)...like all the bottles still have around 60-70% of the content left...and i am happy that he offered to help me....I dont think hes that "money-extracting" kind of fishkeeper...coz he offered to remove anchorworm in one of my mollies like a year back...I still gave him all of my pocket money tho (10$) for the kit...

Last edited:
Keep up with the water changes; if you now have just one shubunkin and one rainbow fish, the amount of water you have is probably just enough enough dilution. The tank is too short for goldfish, but the stunting damage has already been done. Well cared for a goldfish will reach as much as 12 or more inches and live many years.... but sadly they are probably the most abused fish in the hobby. Apparentely its because they can survive mistreatment.... but I still killed 6 when I was a teenage noob. The situation is far from ideal but if cannot re-home them or get massive tank/pond for the goldfish, the best you can do is make sure the water is clean.

And I have to conclude the pet store owner either knows no more about keeping fish than some book he read in 1990s, or maybe a single lecture at vet school he has forgotten... or he knows his advice is bad (although much of what he said wasn't wrong as such.... except the obvious stuff like goldfish stop growing before the shop buys them) but doesn't care because he wants all his customers to come and buy new fish when the old ones die. I like the staff at my LFS and respect their knowledge.... but like today I just go to look at test kits and dry food and see what fish are this week.... and she ask me any fish today? i say no lol id love to but i have no space

Keep up with the water changes; if you now have just one shubunkin and one rainbow fish, the amount of water you have is probably just enough enough dilution. The tank is too short for goldfish, but the stunting damage has already been done. Well cared for a goldfish will reach as much as 12 or more inches and live many years.... but sadly they are probably the most abused fish in the hobby. Apparentely its because they can survive mistreatment.... but I still killed 6 when I was a teenage noob. The situation is far from ideal but if cannot re-home them or get massive tank/pond for the goldfish, the best you can do is make sure the water is clean.

And I have to conclude the pet store owner either knows no more about keeping fish than some book he read in 1990s, or maybe a single lecture at vet school he has forgotten... or he knows his advice is bad (although much of what he said wasn't wrong as such.... except the obvious stuff like goldfish stop growing before the shop buys them) but doesn't care because he wants all his customers to come and buy new fish when the old ones die. I like the staff at my LFS and respect their knowledge.... but like today I just go to look at test kits and dry food and see what fish are this week.... and she ask me any fish today? i say no lol id love to but i have no space?
i stilll have my 4 mollies 2 shubunkins and 2 rainbows and this is the reading taken this morning.....is my water still good?

or should i give away my mollies...like i dont have the heart to give them away...but if the water is actually bad and the fish should be rehomed to make them happy....i would be happy to do the best for my fish

Also as i have limited resources with the test kit

can somebody tell me the "best readings and results with the least usage" duration

like a reading taken 2 days once would be fine....or a reading taken once a week is fine....like the max duration between readings

like you know there is a balanced mode in computers which does not sacrifice performance as well as save up some battery juice

Well if 10 is the highest nitrate you get just before a water change but I suspect it might get more than that, so until you get used to the numbers your tank makes in between water changes, as many tests as feasible. After that weekly will be fine (or even less if numbers are consistent). It might be safer to rehome the mollies... if they live in a pond I've seen them online that aren't a huge deal smaller than goldfish. The tank you have would be nice for shoal of single sex guppies or even platies....(though I'm fairly sure most on here will say bigger even for them)
If you are determined to keep the fish/can't re-home them, you need to reduce stock before they grow and then more deaths will cause an accidental stock reduction. And maybe try and get more plants in in there if you think there is room, every little will help.

Well if 10 is the highest nitrate you get just before a water change but I suspect it might get more than that, so until you get used to the numbers your tank makes in between water changes, as many tests as feasible. After that weekly will be fine (or even less if numbers are consistent). It might be safer to rehome the mollies... if they live in a pond I've seen them online that aren't a huge deal smaller than goldfish. The tank you have would be nice for shoal of single sex guppies or even platies....(though I'm fairly sure most on here will say bigger even for them)
If you are determined to keep the fish/can't re-home them, you need to reduce stock before they grow and then more deaths will cause an accidental stock reduction. And maybe try and get more plants in in there if you think there is room, every little will help.
ok...thanks!

he did not tell the fish grow to the size of their tank...he told that most fishes reach their max physical growth before they reach the shops( i have bought fish from many shops and only the first shubunkin i got has grown in size...while the others never grew in size)....like the mollies i get here are around 1 year old...while from what i read from google (if its right) mollies reach their max size before they are around 10 months...
At best, he is ignorant of basic fish biology. At worst, he lied.
...he told that initially used to accept fish returns...but people brought in a lot of sick fish (sick coz of the mistakes done by the owners....like overfeeding and causing SBD...give away fish with contagious diseases) and they demanded money too....so from then he stopped accepting returns
He gives bad advice, exploiting the ignorance of his customers.
Lots of ill and dying and dead fish result.
You have been told many times now...he is simply out to make money. He does not care for the fish or for his customers.

Also as i have limited resources with the test kit

can somebody tell me the "best readings and results with the least usage" duration

like a reading taken 2 days once would be fine....or a reading taken once a week is fine....like the max duration between readings

like you know there is a balanced mode in computers which does not sacrifice performance as well as save up some battery juice
It does not work like that.
You have an unstable...unbalanced...system.
Your water conditions in the tank can change often and can change quickly.

Again, you are putting costs ahead of the welfare of your fish.

I have read this thread from start to finish.
You have been given the information you need, again and again.

Repeatedly asking the questions is NOT going to change the answers, or make the situation better for you.

It does not work like that.
You have an unstable...unbalanced...system.
Your water conditions in the tank can change often and can change quickly.

Again, you are putting costs ahead of the welfare of your fish.

I have read this thread from start to finish.
You have been given the information you need, again and again.

Repeatedly asking the questions is NOT going to change the answers, or make the situation better for you.
okay...then i am not getting new fish

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back