Mollies Having to many babies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
I had a siphon exactly like the one that you have in the picture. It does not do the job correctly. The siphon part is too short. It just sucked the substrate up and out into the bucket. I got it because it was the cheapest. Well you get what you pay for. I purchased a new one with a longer tube and it works great. Cleans without sucking the substrate into the bucket. Get yourself a new one with a longer siphon tube.

i have 2 mollies in my 65litre and they had a baby like 2 months ago it grew up and i thought i was pretty cool but little did i know what was on the horizon......... so i come home from my dads and look into the tank which my mum has been feeding, and see another baby am like cool.... then another one and another one there are like 10 or 12 baby mollies. i thought they would of got eaten by the other or they would of just died off but they are all living strong what do i do. my tank already has 8 neons 2 guppies 1 pleco 6 zebra dinions and ofc the mollies its not a dirty tank but there is also alot of algae on the glass and gravel idk how do get rid of it that would be usfel too i tried scraping the sides with toothbrush using gravel pump for the little spots of algea on gravel and took fake plants out and rinsed them but didnt really help tbh. (this is my first tank btw)(and the first baby mollie is about the same size as a guppie)
Get a betta they love baby mollies....to eat and they are full of motion and color

View attachment 167499
Not the greatest picture had lights turned off so neons are abit discoulerd but ye its really filfy
That looks like a pretty nice set up . The tank looks healthy. Maybe add a small bubbler behind the ship.
Most people think that algae in a fish tank is a bad thing, little do they know.
Scientific Fact:
Algae in a fish tank is really good. It actually breaks down organic matter ( as in old food and fish poo )
During the day time or while the light is on the algae will also absorb the carbon dioxide and produce oxygen.
So donā€™t be so quick to be rid of it just cause it is a little bit of an eye soar.
( to be honest, I really think your tank looks quite beautiful I love the way it looks. Kinda looks like something youā€™d see at the bottom of an old lake)
Anyhow
Fish also enjoy eating algae and itā€™s good for them..
One way to be rid of algae is to get your tank one or two
Scientific name: Hypostomus plecostomus
Iā€™ve put a couple pictures below showing what they look like in case you didnā€™t know alreadyā€¦
If you donā€™t want it on the front of the tank just use a razor blade and scape it away..
if you donā€™t want it at all.
They have algae remover at Walmart, petsmart, petco, Amazon. and so onā€¦
Now for your fish problem.
I Recommend to take any unwanted fish to ā€œ petsmart or petco ā€œ theyā€™ll except them..
They are not going to give you any money or store credits or anything like that for the fish..
Any age is fine but if you want them to have a better chance of survival, than I would wait a month or so..
As for the gender of the Mollies Iā€™ve attached a picture.

Be aware that Mollies can indeed breed with Guppies which creates a hybrid fryā€¦

Iā€™ve attached a link that will explain about molly guppy hybrids.

Attachments

• 4BE2825B-72C9-4315-8357-27584EF4A3E2.jpeg
    4BE2825B-72C9-4315-8357-27584EF4A3E2.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 2F6126FE-A66D-4B4A-9B97-7F4FDB7A8C60.jpeg
    2F6126FE-A66D-4B4A-9B97-7F4FDB7A8C60.jpeg
    14.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 4E0AD0B8-378A-4E22-9C27-D7C0EB3DD557.jpeg
    4E0AD0B8-378A-4E22-9C27-D7C0EB3DD557.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 2D53DC9F-D696-4C4C-A13D-5DA8D17BEEA5.jpeg
    2D53DC9F-D696-4C4C-A13D-5DA8D17BEEA5.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 77AFBEDF-DCBD-47C3-8EB8-31C16EE04FB2.jpeg
    77AFBEDF-DCBD-47C3-8EB8-31C16EE04FB2.jpeg
    9.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
But you feed your fish- dead fish flakes. Brine shrimp etc. You kill fish to feed fish and thats ok because someone else kills them?
You have a valid point and it's worth consideration....
I would like to think that the way that fish food is produced is more humane than trapping them in a small enclosure and letting a predator loose to pick them off one by one.
To me it's the difference between eating beef that is farmed to a set of standards and letting a lion loose in a field of cattle.
My argument will undoubtedly have flaws but I do still stand by my original comment.

But you feed your fish- dead fish flakes. Brine shrimp etc. You kill fish to feed fish and thats ok because someone else kills them?
Fish aren't killed specifically to make fish food; by-products from fish for human/domestic animal consumption are used to make fish food.

If u eat chicken or beef ior veal or pork same things animals often kept in.all confined spaces. At least if u have plants fry can hide..making a new enthusiast worry about saving all their fry or being a bad fish owner is not gonna help them like this hoby

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back