Mollies Having to many babies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

aidendl23

Reaction score
i have 2 mollies in my 65litre and they had a baby like 2 months ago it grew up and i thought i was pretty cool but little did i know what was on the horizon......... so i come home from my dads and look into the tank which my mum has been feeding, and see another baby am like cool.... then another one and another one there are like 10 or 12 baby mollies. i thought they would of got eaten by the other or they would of just died off but they are all living strong what do i do. my tank already has 8 neons 2 guppies 1 pleco 6 zebra dinions and ofc the mollies its not a dirty tank but there is also alot of algae on the glass and gravel idk how do get rid of it that would be usfel too i tried scraping the sides with toothbrush using gravel pump for the little spots of algea on gravel and took fake plants out and rinsed them but didnt really help tbh. (this is my first tank btw)(and the first baby mollie is about the same size as a guppie)

i have 2 mollies in my 65litre and they had a baby like 2 months ago it grew up and i thought i was pretty cool but little did i know what was on the horizon......... so i come home from my dads and look into the tank which my mum has been feeding, and see another baby am like cool.... then another one and another one there are like 10 or 12 baby mollies. i thought they would of got eaten by the other or they would of just died off but they are all living strong what do i do. my tank already has 8 neons 2 guppies 1 pleco 6 zebra dinions and ofc the mollies its not a dirty tank but there is also alot of algae on the glass and gravel idk how do get rid of it that would be usfel too i tried scraping the sides with toothbrush using gravel pump for the little spots of algea on gravel and took fake plants out and rinsed them but didnt really help tbh. (this is my first tank btw)(and the first baby mollie is about the same size as a guppie)
Welcome to the forum!

Live bearers do reproduce like nuts. I would recommend rehoming the babies. I rehome my fish via the forum or craigslist. If you have a good pet shop in the area that is also an option.

Of you don't want fry, then you will need to get virgin females or males only.

Last edited:
Keep only males or females. It’s the only way.
if you keep males, they will not have babies at all
if you keep females, they might have been impregnated at the fish store or fish breeding pond, so they will still have babies
but eventually they will both work out

Keep only males or females. It’s the only way.
yep that was my plan but my dad had a tank ages ago and thinks he knows what he is talking about and bought me fish i didnt want to be disrespectful tho and tell him to take them back. i kinda had a plan of what fish i was going to get but he bought me a mollie and the danios and i dont know which one is female or male

Welcome to the forum!

Live bearers do reproduce like nuts. I would recommend rehoming the babies. I rehome my fish via the forum or craigslist. If you have a good pet shop in the area that is also an option.th
Welcome to the forum!

Live bearers do reproduce like nuts. I would recommend rehoming the babies. I rehome my fish via the forum or craigslist. If you have a good pet shop in the area that is also an option.
thanks i might do this and maybe keep a few. i just have a few questions tho 1. do fish not care who they breed with like there parents and siblings 2. how long/old do the fish need be before i try give them to a shop 3. do you know how i can fix algae in my tank my dad says i just need a better filter and is trying to find his old one but i keep telling him it will be to rusty and it wont be good chaning them because it could harm the fish am, i right in saying this?. 4. is there a way to tell which gender the mollies are

Nope, every so often- like every few years you will want to add in a few to strengthen the line but besides that your good.

Some shops will take fry, but others will want them to be 6 months old or so.

What are your water parameters? Do you have a picture of your tank? How long do you keep the light on?

Nope, every so often- like every few years you will want to add in a few to strengthen the line but besides that your good.

Some shops will take fry, but others will want them to be 6 months old or so.

What are your water parameters? Do you have a picture of your tank? How long do you keep the light on?
i leave my light on for like 10 to 12 hours pretty much when i wake up to when i sit down- and if tank parameters are like ph and stuff last time i checked like a month ago (i will do another test tommorow for you and message if there are any changes) it was like ph 7-8 nitrates 0 nitrite 0 ammonia 0 ppm done from fresh water master test kit

IMG_0831.JPG

Not the greatest picture had lights turned off so neons are abit discoulerd but ye its really filfy

Switch your lighting to about 5-6 hours a day and if you can no direct sunlight. What is your water change schedule?
i use to do one every 2 weeks but recently have slipped out of it but you have reminded me to start again. about 30 to 40 percent water changes

i use to do one every 2 weeks but recently have slipped out of it but you have reminded me to start again. about 30 to 40 percent water changes
For now, I would switch your lighting schedule over and see what happens. To can get a light timer to make that easier. Algae loves light. Have you ever considered live plants?

Same, same. I learned about Mollies insane reproduction rate the same as you. I concur that if you like them go with the one sex.
I didn't know it, but I visited a LFS the other day and saw some in a marine tank. The shopkeeper said they are easily acclimated from freshwater over an afternoon by a drip feed of salt water.
You learn something new every day.....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back