Mollies disaster!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have a problem with the mollies overstocking the tank!

Last week I ordered 5 sailfin mollies from the online fish store and what I get is 5 sailfins, 9 common mollies and 20 fries!

I only have 4 tanks right now which is 23 gal, 20 gal, 18 gal and 6 gal, what should I do?

I know people going to say I should give it away to friend or LFS, BUT they’re gonna feed it to predatory fish and snappers which I can’t get over it.

@AdoraBelle Dearheart @Colin_T
Guys, help me stocks fish for the last time, if you were near I would give it away to you guys.

Can you get a clear plastic tote to use? You can take a heater and stick it on a heavy plate to sit at bottom. That way it’s not in contact with the plastic.

Can you get a clear plastic tote to use? You can take a heater and stick it on a heavy plate to sit at bottom. That way it’s not in contact with the plastic.
My mom said, no more tank until we moved the house (which is in about 2 years)

Hi everyone! I have a problem with the mollies overstocking the tank!

Last week I ordered 5 sailfin mollies from the online fish store and what I get is 5 sailfins, 9 common mollies and 20 fries!

I only have 4 tanks right now which is 23 gal, 20 gal, 18 gal and 6 gal, what should I do?

I know people going to say I should give it away to friend or LFS, BUT they’re gonna feed it to predatory fish and snappers which I can’t get over it.

@AdoraBelle Dearheart @Colin_T
Guys, help me stocks fish for the last time, if you were near I would give it away to you guys.
First of all congrats...you must be doing something right your fish are breeding. You got a great on-line store if they gave you extra fish. I would wait for a bit before giving away the fry they should be a good size. But why not reach out to forums members in your local area to see if they could home your extras.
regards DanC

Actually, it will be difficult if you decided to keep live bearers...
You will need more and more tanks soon as the females will keep giving birth to new fry..

As for me, the only solution is to return all the females to the LFS.

He can't return them because he got them online.

Are you sure there are sailfin and normal mollies together?
If you have sailfins and normals, separate them and get a plastic storage container that is at least 150 litres, preferably more.

You can put them in a smaller container to deworm them if you need to but if you plan on keeping them for any length of time, go for the biggest container you can get.

A 200 litre container doesn't take up much more room than a 100 litre container. With bigger containers, put the lid on them to help stop the sides bulging out. You can cut a hole in the middle of the lid to feed them and check on them but try to have a lid on the container.

As for me, the only solution is to return all the females to the LFS.
Even if I return them to LFS, I’m not sure if they’re going to take care of them or not, last time I saw mollies in their arowana tank.
Yep, I already seperated male and female to 20 and 23 gal
You can put them in a smaller container to deworm them if you need to but if you plan on keeping them for any length of time, go for the biggest container you can get.
They’re all in brackish water right now (sg about 28)
I don’t have to deworm them,right?

The things that bother me the most is the plastic smell of the tote.

Even if I return them to LFS, I’m not sure if they’re going to take care of them or not, last time I saw mollies in their arowana tank.
Yep, I already seperated male and female to 20 and 23 gal

They’re all in brackish water right now (sg about 28)
I don’t have to deworm them,right?

The things that bother me the most is the plastic smell of the tote.
It would be wise to worm them, livebearers are frequently carrying worms, and if you share equipment between tanks, or don't wash your hands between tanks - you can easily spread worm eggs to all of your tanks.

It would be wise to worm them, livebearers are frequently carrying worms, and if you share equipment between tanks, or don't wash your hands between tanks - you can easily spread worm eggs to all of your tanks.
Will treat them with Metronidazole and praziquantel today.

Try to get praziquantel on its own rather than mixed with Metronidazole.
Metronidazole is an anti-biotic and you don't want to be adding that to tanks unless it's absolutely necessary.

Praziquantel only treats tapeworm. You want Levamisole for thread/ round worms, or Flubendazole, which does both tapeworm and round worms.

Common livebearers from Asia regularly carry both types of intestinal worms but thread worms are more common than tapeworm.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back