Mollie Fry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mdorsett

Reaction score
Hi. My molly had fry and 15ish were moved to a 3 gallon aquarium. Most of them are black. The mom is orange. What do I do with these babies? I mean, I know what to do with them for now, but 15 is obviously too many for this small aquarium once they’re full sized, and my regular aquarium, where the mom lives, is almost fully stocked.

I live near Charlotte, NCif that helps.
TIA,
Maggie

You could offer them to your LFS, I had the same problem and ended up offering them to friends and neighbors. I just had 12 Red eye tetra fry that I gave to my bother-in-law. My local Petco takes fish through the local animal shelter.

My petco has an "adoption tank"

Like most livebearers the molly can store sperm for up to 6 months and is likely to keep producing fry every 4-6 weeks, even if you seperate her from the males. Typically anything from 10-40 fry per batch but possibly much larger.

Its great if you can find somewhere to take them, but I suggest you don't do anything special to save the fry. You will still end up with more than you can cope with.

Oh and your fry can start breeding at around 3 months old ;)

I got 40 fry from my platy and i have nothing to do with them i did not know that they five birth to that many and it took like 7 weeks for her to give birth which is how i knew that there would be alot. Good to know that you can give them to petco because i have one near me. They are the coolest looking platys they are tiger colored.
20191123_143603.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back