Mixing medication

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

WillK

Reaction score
I purchased 70 cardinal tetras and placed them in quarantine. 62 died within a couple days from what looked like the "neon tetra disease" it went away and left 8 fish. I know it's crazy but I'm now trying to save the last couple of fish. they have white spot. I've used tonnes of protozin and it's not working. I'm now trying esha 2000 because maybe it's more fungal not exactly whitespot? but they are all covered in it and theres like 6 left now. I think they have a few hours left. temp is high and there is salt in there. since they have such little time left do I try mixing the protozin and esha 2000 for a final last attempt? thanks guys

Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Post the results (in numbers) here.

Do a 90% water change and gravel clean the substrate.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Then post a picture of the fish so we can try to identify the problem.

Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Post the results (in numbers) here.

Do a 90% water change and gravel clean the substrate.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Then post a picture of the fish so we can try to identify the problem.

hi it's a quarantine tank as stated. no gravel and small. water is perfect and checked with liquid test. fish came in with the disease straight from a wholesaler unfortunately.

they are in their last hours. I'll try anything even if its mixing all the medicine. at this point I dont really care. I've already lost 95% of the fish. there are literally 3 fish left :(

Maybe the best option is to put these guys out of their misery?

Attachments

• 15714065965942278803448953790166.jpg
    15714065965942278803448953790166.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 83
You don't want to mix medications because it just poisons the fish.

The fish in the picture has excess mucous all over its body and possible mouth fungus (Columnaris). If it has Columnaris, it needs to be treated with anti-biotics but it's probably too late for any that show the white lips.

If there's only 3 left, it will probably cost more to treat than to replace the fish.

Is the supplier willing to accept any reasonability for sending you sick fish?

You don't want to mix medications because it just poisons the fish.

The fish in the picture has excess mucous all over its body and possible mouth fungus (Columnaris). If it has Columnaris, it needs to be treated with anti-biotics but it's probably too late for any that show the white lips.

If there's only 3 left, it will probably cost more to treat than to replace the fish.

Is the supplier willing to accept any reasonability for sending you sick fish?

yeah I think I'm just going to leave the protozin in and if they pass they pass. I purchased the cardinals via a local shop who gave me them straight from his wholesaler basically. he never had them in his tanks. straight to me. the attached pic is what the others seemed to all die from. the guy told me he has 30 replacements when I'm ready, but hes not said anything about the other 40. I'd be very unhappy if he didn't replace all of them. the fish alone were £100 plus all the medicine I've bought, maybe around £15 worth or something. not on really but hopefully he can get me the replacements and I will use the medicine before they even show any symptoms this time. I think hes got the 30 already at his shop so they should be all ok. how would you recommend I go about it? thanks again for your help

The shop should be able to claim them all as DOAs (dead on arrival) or dead within a couple of days because they were sick when they arrived. If you show the shop the picture, they can send that to their supplier as proof.

I wouldn't buy 70 at one time. Once the remaining 3 die or live, wash the quarantine tank out and fill it with water, then add heaps of salt to the tank. You want so much salt it doesn't dissolve. Have the filter on and let everything soak in salt water for 24 hours, then wash it out with fresh water and let it dry for a few days. Then set it up with clean water.

See if the new cardinals can stay in the shop tank for a couple of weeks, and ask them to not put any fish in it during that time. If the fish are fine after a couple of weeks and none have died, then grab the 30 and take them home.

The shop should be able to claim them all as DOAs (dead on arrival) or dead within a couple of days because they were sick when they arrived. If you show the shop the picture, they can send that to their supplier as proof.

I wouldn't buy 70 at one time. Once the remaining 3 die or live, wash the quarantine tank out and fill it with water, then add heaps of salt to the tank. You want so much salt it doesn't dissolve. Have the filter on and let everything soak in salt water for 24 hours, then wash it out with fresh water and let it dry for a few days. Then set it up with clean water.

See if the new cardinals can stay in the shop tank for a couple of weeks, and ask them to not put any fish in it during that time. If the fish are fine after a couple of weeks and none have died, then grab the 30 and take them home.

Okay I think that will be best. get the tank cleaned out and just get a small batch. I have lots of pictures from throughout the whole incident which all can be dated. sook as the fish came in I knew something was wrong, they looked really rubbish and had lots of fin damage. he said he spoke to his supplier and they said they had no issues with that specific batch of fish. but maybe that's because others preventatively treated, whereas I treated after it had already taken over unfortunately. but yes I'm going to speak to him now and see if he has had them in quarantine already. thanks again

Okay I think that will be best. get the tank cleaned out and just get a small batch. I have lots of pictures from throughout the whole incident which all can be dated. sook as the fish came in I knew something was wrong, they looked really rubbish and had lots of fin damage. he said he spoke to his supplier and they said they had no issues with that specific batch of fish. but maybe that's because others preventatively treated, whereas I treated after it had already taken over unfortunately. but yes I'm going to speak to him now and see if he has had them in quarantine already. thanks again

I have some spare tanks so I might just set one up and I know there will be no cross contamination??? add the 30 to that?

The pic is not really clear. They do have ich and the one has raised scales. May I ask what the green stuff is in the tank?

Last edited:
The pic is not really clear. They do have ich and the one has raised scales. May I ask what the green stuff is in the tank?

on the glass? algae. or do you mean the water colour? that's the protozin it makes the water look like it has methelyene blue in it or whatever its called haha. makes it go all bluey coloured.

hi there. ive now ended up with 1 cardinal left. he shows no symptoms of any disease, no white or anything on him at all. no medication in the tank now. and he is fine. do i risk placing him in with any other fish? the only other cardinals he has to school with are in my discus and thats the riskiest tank of course. i have a tank with neons, will he associate with them at all? Also to clean the tank, am i able to use dead sea salt, i have a 20kg bag of it that my mother uses for bathing haha. seems like the cheapest option if i need quite a bit. thanks in advance

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back