Mixing Cichlids???

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

utahfish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So i dont have the tank yet, probably wont for a while but im trying to gather as much info as i can. Ive kept Rams in the past but never larger cichlids. Im planning on getting either a 75 gal or a 125gal and would like to keep some S american cichlids other than dwarfs, so ive been looking up species if cichlid that are considered " peaceful" the general consensus is Acaras, Rainbows, Firemouth, Severum, Angels Discus and Rams.
Id rather not keep Angels as theyre pretty sensitive nor discus too expensive and specialized so am wondering of acaras, rainbow cichlids, severums and firemouth, who have kept them and if together or which combinations would do best together or people have had keeping together. Ive seen videos of people keeping Acaras with severums and even dempseys and convicts, doesnt seem to be much info on rainbow cichlids and appropriate cichlid tankmates.??

My 90g community has 3 rainbows with a firemouth, no major issues. Also houses 2 bn plecos and small loaches as temporary residents

My 90g community has 3 rainbows with a firemouth, no major issues. Also houses 2 bn plecos and small loaches as temporary residents
Are they all males, females, a mix. Do you find they do better in pairs? Odd numbered groups or solo?

Are they all males, females, a mix. Do you find they do better in pairs? Odd numbered groups or solo?
Iā€™m not sure on sex of rainbows, but Iā€™m not breeding them. I know they can pair off indefinitely. The firemouth is a male. He is the dominant cichlid but most of the time doesnā€™t seem to feel the need to show it. He was more into chasing when things in the tank get moved around. Basically heā€™s setting boundaries, but then calms down after a week or so. He has never injured them in the 4 years theyā€™ve been together.
I wouldnā€™t keep a rainbow solo. If you can buy a pair, I would.
theyā€™re not very aggressive, In my experience with other fish but I wouldnā€™t go too small. Swordtails would probably be ok with them if you didnā€™t want a second cichlid type.

Iā€™m not sure on sex of rainbows, but Iā€™m not breeding them. I know they can pair off indefinitely. The firemouth is a male. He is the dominant cichlid but most of the time doesnā€™t seem to feel the need to show it. He was more into chasing when things in the tank get moved around. Basically heā€™s setting boundaries, but then calms down after a week or so. He has never injured them in the 4 years theyā€™ve been together.
I wouldnā€™t keep a rainbow solo. If you can buy a pair, I would.
theyā€™re not very aggressive, In my experience with other fish but I wouldnā€™t go too small. Swordtails would probably be ok with them if you didnā€™t want a second cichlid type.
Im not looking for dither fish or other species to keep with them just cichlids and which ones people have kept together with success and how many in groups, pairs, solo, ect...
Your input on rainbows and firemouths are helpful though, thank you!
Any other relative experience tips would be appreciated

Im not looking for dither fish or other species to keep with them just cichlids and which ones people have kept together with success and how many in groups, pairs, solo, ect...
Your input on rainbows and firemouths are helpful though, thank you!
Any other relative experience tips would be appreciated
Ok cool. I will say there is occasional interplay between firemouth and pleco- mostly just funny

I had an acara at one point (massive jerk), rehomed.
I think you might be able to mix keyholes with rainbows. Keyholes are very peaceful

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back