mixed up fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

paige

Fish Addict
Reaction score
the mum of some of my fry is a guppy and the dad is an endler.weired ay

hi anyone there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

no its not weird...since the endler and guppy are very closely related.

Sorry about barging in this thread, but what exactly are the debatable differences between Endlers and guppys?

The most obvious difference besides size would be seen if comparing two completely wild fish. A wild guppy has a round tail and lacks the contrasting 'lines' of color seen on endler's. Endler's have various tail types such as sword-type tails and don't usualy display a single solid color but swirls and lines of 2 or 3. Their temperament IME is slightly different too though this might be due to the extensive breeding guppies have been through. They were also found in different places in the wild and did not regularly inter-breed in the wild or we wouldn't have 2 obviously different fish by now.

I would think that endler's are a subspecies of the guppy (or the other way round), rather than the exact same species or just a geographical variant of the guppy.

i used to think that endlers and guppys were 2 differant species but because of resent research im starteing to beleive that they are one in the same.

Endler.jpg

^this is an endler^

24-56.jpg

^wild guppy^

its pretty crazy, the males are only slightly differant, and the females are impossible to distingrish from each other -_-

I think calling endlers and guppys different species is a bit like calling a dalmation mollie a different species to a lyretail mollie, they are both mollys, just different variations of the same species; it appears the only real difference is the coloration pattening of the two...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back