Mixed colour neos, what colours have you kept together and produced?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AdoraBelle Dearheart

Nutty fish nutter
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I started with a colony of red cherries, and despite knowing that it's not advisable to mix different colours together since you'll drop the quality/wind up producing a lot of wild types, I went ahead and added some blue dreams because I'm super drawn to the blues, and figured what the heck, it's my tank! It's only for fun, not profit.
I'm glad I did! They've produced a lot of brown/chocolate/ and transparent wild types, yes, but every now and then I spot a really beautiful coloured shrimp. Have had blacks, oranges, light green, even a few perfect looking rili's! It's been about two years now, and still get some good reds and blues too.
DSCF9534.JPG
Today, it's the dark blue/black ones catching my eye after this super dark girl appeared at the front to nom an algae wafer. She was determined and hanging on even as the cories knocked her halfway across the tank, lol. I can't really tell if she's a super dark blue, or a true black, but there are several others that look black in there too. Sorry photos are so blurry, I need to adjust my camera settings and figure it out again... but gives you an idea of how deep her colour is!
DSCF9551.JPG
DSCF9532.JPG
DSCF9527.JPG

I bought a bunch of assorted color neos 2 years ago just for algae control in my planted cube. Nowadays, I see a few reds, yellows, and blacks here and there, but a majority of the shrimp in there now are back to their wild colorway.

I bought a bunch of assorted color neos 2 years ago just for algae control in my planted cube. Nowadays, I see a few reds, yellows, and blacks here and there, but a majority of the shrimp in there now are back to their wild colorway.

I still like the wild ones! And the brown ones are really nice sometimes too, like a deep chocolate colour.
I sold a few batches of shrimp at the same time I was selling some fish, being honest that they're from a mixed colony and not high grade, just offered some batches since my tank was full to bursting with them. Someone did want to buy some wild types purely for algae control, didn't care about having colour at all, but I'd bet that still some of their offspring will show some colour later down the line.

I have a group of 20 low grade cherries and I have about 10 that are red, a few really good ones, some are natural coloured and I think I have 1 yellow. I've never got into the high end shrimp side of things but I kind of understand it a bit more these days (as in why one would rather than understanding the strains) but I'm more than happy with my little group of misfits. I might add in some blues if I see them but they are a bit pricey!

Wills

I have a group of 20 low grade cherries and I have about 10 that are red, a few really good ones, some are natural coloured and I think I have 1 yellow. I've never got into the high end shrimp side of things but I kind of understand it a bit more these days (as in why one would rather than understanding the strains) but I'm more than happy with my little group of misfits. I might add in some blues if I see them but they are a bit pricey!

Wills

It's the blues I really want at one point! To have separately from my mixed colony to try to keep the blue high-ish grade. But I'd probably only start with a group of 10. I sorta wonder sometimes if I started moving the blue ones that appear in my current colony and keep line breeding from them and moving any culls to the mixed colony, if I could get a decent blue line going again.

I've mixed different colors as well, I like the variety...even the brown ones...which are very few...most of my shrimplets come out red, blue, or black

Most reactions

trending

Back