Mixed Barb tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
Reaction score
Anyone done a mixed barb tank what included Tiger barbs?

Id love some tiger barbs but would like to mix them in with some other barbs i.e Odessa/black Ruby's if i could. Probably do a group of 15 tigers if this was possible. (220litres)

Be greatful for any advise

Last edited:
There is another possibility - a group of different coloured tigers. The photos on Seriously Fish show normal, black, green, platinum and albino tiger barbs. A mix of two or three different colours would look like two or three different species but in fact be just one big shoal of tiger barbs.

That was an option i Was thinking of having a multi coloured tiger tank but im planning to upgrade to a 5/6ft tank next year so ideally would like to add more barb species then. Whether it would be the tigers in first then the Odessa's etc or vice versa.

Last edited:
It could work in a tank of 5 or 6 feet in length, but I would not mix barbs that included the Tiger in smaller tanks. If the Tiger Barb shoal numbered 15-20, there is less likely to be trouble, though never a guarantee.

It could work in a tank of 5 or 6 feet in length, but I would not mix barbs that included the Tiger in smaller tanks. If the Tiger Barb shoal numbered 15-20, there is less likely to be trouble, though never a guarantee.
If i did the single specie tank in the 220 with just the tigers i would probably do a good group of 25.

Have you ever had Tiger barbs Byron?

If i did the single specie tank in the 220 with just the tigers i would probably do a good group of 25.

Have you ever had Tiger barbs Byron?

Yes, but many years ago. I now have community tanks and I avoid any species that is inevitably going to be problematic. I did have the 33g set up for the Black Ruby Barbs as a species tank, but that was different...they are an incredibly beautiful barb and they are peaceful.

Yes, but many years ago. I now have community tanks and I avoid any species that is inevitably going to be problematic. I did have the 33g set up for the Black Ruby Barbs as a species tank, but that was different...they are an incredibly beautiful barb and they are peaceful.
Are they really that much trouble? I persume they just got a bad reputation because fish keepers put them with the wrong fish (slow moving/long fined) or not having sufficient numbers in the group.

Probably just me but...
220 litres and single species sounds closer to somewhere around 40-60 :cool:

Are they really that much trouble? I persume they just got a bad reputation because fish keepers put them with the wrong fish (slow moving/long fined) or not having sufficient numbers in the group.

The fin nipping is worsened by too few of the TB species, and inappropriate tankmates, very true; and also too small a space which heightens aggressiveness. But a species that is prone to nip fins as a "bully" is still a risk for doing just that. I am not prepared to risk my other fish. I have had to move out a couple species over the years due to rampant unexpected aggressiveness, and it is not always easy. A couple times I had no option but to euthanize the entire species. It is best to avoid such issues.

The Black Ruby Barb is very similar in marking to the TB; females are almost indistinguishable to the layman, and this brings up another point...such fish are more likely to be attacked if the species are together.

Aquarists frequently forget (if they even realize it) that most of the fish species we keep in our aquarium will never see each other in their habitats. Each species has evolved with very specific parameters and it is not always easy to predict how it might react or respond to something it never expects to encounter. The success of so many community tanks is nothing short of remarkable, given the natural world these species come from.

The fin nipping is worsened by too few of the TB species, and inappropriate tankmates, very true; and also too small a space which heightens aggressiveness. But a species that is prone to nip fins as a "bully" is still a risk for doing just that. I am not prepared to risk my other fish. I have had to move out a couple species over the years due to rampant unexpected aggressiveness, and it is not always easy. A couple times I had no option but to euthanize the entire species. It is best to avoid such issues.

The Black Ruby Barb is very similar in marking to the TB; females are almost indistinguishable to the layman, and this brings up another point...such fish are more likely to be attacked if the species are together.

Aquarists frequently forget (if they even realize it) that most of the fish species we keep in our aquarium will never see each other in their habitats. Each species has evolved with very specific parameters and it is not always easy to predict how it might react or respond to something it never expects to encounter. The success of so many community tanks is nothing short of remarkable, given the natural world these species come from.
Such a shame they are bullies because they are beautiful little fish. I love how they move around the tank following the leader like a wolf pack.

I suppose it will be better options wise and less risk taking if i went with the peaceful barbs for when i do come to upgrade.

Can always use the single specie Tiger tank idea as an excuse for another tank :#

Last edited:
In my 29 gallon tank, I have 9 tiger barbs along with a Bolivian Ram and a BN pleco. I find no issues at all. the barbs stay in their school and are very active and interesting to watch. The Ram often schools along with them and gets along fine with them. The pleco mainly hides all day under the driftwood.

In my 29 gallon tank, I have 9 tiger barbs along with a Bolivian Ram and a BN pleco. I find no issues at all. the barbs stay in their school and are very active and interesting to watch. The Ram often schools along with them and gets along fine with them. The pleco mainly hides all day under the driftwood.
Sounds pretty cool your Ram schooling with the Tigers. Did you add the tigers to the tank first?

yes...the ram was put in sometime after the barbs were put into the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back