Mistreating my crypts

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

seangee

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
These have a reputation for struggling when being moved and for a long time I resisted buying any because I like an easy life.

Some months ago I added 2 bunches of cryptocoryne wendtii to my Flex 15. 2 weeks ago I re-located one of these to the community tank because it had outgrown the nano. This was a change in environment because the nano has dGH: 6, dKH: 3 and pH: 7.0. The new home has dGH: 2, dKH: 0 and pH < 5.5. They also moved from a light area of the old tank to a shaded area in the new one. The community is already well planted so on the basis I had nothing to lose I pulled them out, cut off all the leaves (every last one) and trimmed the roots to about 1". Then I plonked the entire bunch into the community tank on top of a root tab.

Fast froward 2 1/2 weeks and they were sporting 2 inches of new leaves. As I am still in nothing to lose territory I split it into 8 separate plants today and distributed these along the back wall with a few extra root tabs. So unless I have finally managed to kill them off my wall of hygrophilla and vals will soon be running into a wall of crypts. Hopefully pics in a couple of weeks. And it seems that crypts are not as difficult as I had always assumed :)

These have a reputation for struggling when being moved and for a long time I resisted buying any because I like an easy life.

Some months ago I added 2 bunches of cryptocoryne wendtii to my Flex 15. 2 weeks ago I re-located one of these to the community tank because it had outgrown the nano. This was a change in environment because the nano has dGH: 6, dKH: 3 and pH: 7.0. The new home has dGH: 2, dKH: 0 and pH < 5.5. They also moved from a light area of the old tank to a shaded area in the new one. The community is already well planted so on the basis I had nothing to lose I pulled them out, cut off all the leaves (every last one) and trimmed the roots to about 1". Then I plonked the entire bunch into the community tank on top of a root tab.

Fast froward 2 1/2 weeks and they were sporting 2 inches of new leaves. As I am still in nothing to lose territory I split it into 8 separate plants today and distributed these along the back wall with a few extra root tabs. So unless I have finally managed to kill them off my wall of hygrophilla and vals will soon be running into a wall of crypts. Hopefully pics in a couple of weeks. And it seems that crypts are not as difficult as I had always assumed :)
I am a total beginner and I moved some from one tank to another and just nipped the longest roots with my fingernail. For some reason it is thriving.

Ive moved my crypts in my 29g on more than 1 occasion (ive got several different kinds) and even moved some from my bigger tanks to my new set up this week. Never had any melting or struggling with the change. Probably my favorite plants crypts

Last edited:
Crypts are one of the plants i can seem to grow anywhere. Ive always had a lot of su cess with them in all types of substrates and tanks and would highly recommend them to anyway. I think they get a bad rep because they often melt and people think theyre dead and throw them out, and ive had plenty of crypts melt but they always grow back.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back