FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

WhistlingBadger

Professional Cat Herder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I installed a little ultrasonic mist maker at the top of my paludarium waterfall. It looks like this:
61H3Pw1rKxL._AC_SY450_.jpg

The mist boils out of the top of the waterfall and flows down with the water in an extremely convincing and dramatic manner. I'm sure the mist will be fantastic for the mosses, ferns, and tea plants I'm planning to grow. The trouble? Too much of a good thing. After about ten or fifteen minutes, the entire top of the aquarium is filled up with mist. It's impossible to see the waterfall, let alone the dramatically flowing mist.

So...anybody know anything about these? Is there a way to reduce the amount of fog to a manageable level that will look nice and humidify the plants, but allow me to actually SEE the plants?

I installed a little ultrasonic mist maker at the top of my paludarium waterfall. It looks like this:
61H3Pw1rKxL._AC_SY450_.jpg

The mist boils out of the top of the waterfall and flows down with the water in an extremely convincing and dramatic manner. I'm sure the mist will be fantastic for the mosses, ferns, and tea plants I'm planning to grow. The trouble? Too much of a good thing. After about ten or fifteen minutes, the entire top of the aquarium is filled up with mist. It's impossible to see the waterfall, let alone the dramatically flowing mist.

So...anybody know anything about these? Is there a way to reduce the amount of fog to a manageable level that will look nice and humidify the plants, but allow me to actually SEE the plants
these are usually used for indoor ponds where it can flow over the side.
maybe you can blow it away with a small fan or some air flow
5f55d18af108b580cdce0daa-large.jpg

What about a timer plug - 5 mins on, 5 mins off? (or whatever times work best)

I believe with the ultra sonic misters your only option is truly setting them up with a duty cycle as @seangee suggests, or setting them up with a humidity sensor and a control unit, which some orchid growers do, again on/off. These misters do create a fine calcium carbonate dust which adheres to surfaces in the long term, so might not be a good thing with hard water. With living in Wyoming? the mister might be beneficial in increasing your home relative humidity.

Even with a timer, I've seen dart frog misters make an enclosure look like my seaside front yard on a bad day pretty quickly. They were enclosed by screening, too, so there was minimal air circulation. I think you'd need an open top tank with all the evaporation issues that would entail. I don't know if I would run the mister because of that.

It's one of those really cool ideas that might not be workable.

I thought Mister Maker Woes was going to be about some cosmic deity lightning bolt issue when I checked the thread. Whew. I mist read that one!

I thought Mister Maker Woes was going to be about some cosmic deity lightning bolt issue when I checked the thread. Whew. I mist read that one!
We need a 'groan' smiley .........

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back