Missing Guppy?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tomtomtom1230

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I rehomed all my fish into a larger tank (see link in my sig). I acclimated them all the fresh tank water of the course of an hour or so.

Old tank water (unplanted):
amonnia 0
nitrite 0
nirtate about 20
pH ~7

New tank water (planted)
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrates about 5-10ppm (can't be sure, the colour is somewhere in between).
pH ~6.5 (due to the substrate lowering it a little)

I cannot find this guppy anywhere. I suspect he may have died due to the stress that moving subjected him to, although he was fine yesterday. No unusual behavior or anything. I checked behind the tank, on the lip of the tank just above the water level, around all the rocks, the wood and plants but I cannot find the fish, nor can I find his body. H'e definitely not small enough to go up through the inlet pipe, at least I wouldn't have thought so...?

Is it plausible that he died in the night and the other fish ate his body? I know the cories are scavangers and wouldn't say no to anything but I don't see danios or neons eating a guppy? He was only small and I saved him (and a tank mate) from the bleach bucket of a LFS that was closing down. Both the fish had Ich and fin rot when I got them and it cleared up within a matter of days in a crudely made hospital tank. It'll be sad to know he's really gone but at least he didn't die ridden with diseases or by inhaling bleach. :/

Sounds horrible when you put it like that :crazy: But yeah, thanks. I had my suspicions... Such a shame... I did everything by the book when moving my fish yesterday and tried to get it over and done with (all bar the acclimation) pretty quickly.:/

guppys are notoriously fragile little things.....could've been many reasons why it gave up the ghost like that.

Too true! A shame but I suppose if it wasn't down to me then there's not much I could've done.:unsure:

Thanks for a speedy reply, though. :good: Didn't feel as though it was worth of 'Fish Emergency' status :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back