Missing frog?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

nls

Reaction score
Hi guys

We recently brought an African clawed frog and he is quite small. We released him into our tank on Sunday and we havenā€™t seen him since. We have a tight lid on our tank and Iā€™ve looked everywhere around the tank just incase he somehow got out but canā€™t find him.
Iā€™ve also cleaned my filter out and heā€™s not in there and Iā€™ve gone around my tank with my net seeing if anything will move and still no sign.

I know they need to come up for air aswell and not me or my partner have ever seen him do this.

I have no idea where heā€™s gone :( any ideas?

Any news yet?
Might be a silly question, but there is nothing big enough to have eaten him in there is there?
They will find hiding places under stones and ornaments, just be sure he hasn't got himself stuck somewhere maybe? Hopefully not! As you havent seen him for a while I guess it must be a worry. šŸ˜

Nope :( Iā€™ve been next to the tank all day and havenā€™t seen him. The biggest fish in my tank are my corydoras but even then Iā€™m not sure they are big enough to eat him. I have mollys, plattys, bettas, albino pleco and a red fin shark. Itā€™s like heā€™s never existed in my tank at all thereā€™s nothing left even if he died and something ate the rest of him surly there would be some bones? šŸ˜‚Iā€™m not sure

Yh it has a tight lid that you have to slide to open and itā€™s been shut completely since we put him in there

I cannot say where the frog may be, but I will caution you that you have fish that can and may well kill it or harm it. The red tail shark (assume this is the "red fin") are or can be very territorial. The pleco too. And the other fish may decide to nip the frog.

Others here will tell you that aquatic frogs should not be housed with fish. The frog may not get food, as it is no where near as aggressive at feeding as the fish are. And nipping by fish as the frog is resting is very possible.

did you by chance check your filter intake or behind it? and just a reminder, ADF(ACF) are social creatures and enjoy the company of others. I have 6 along with my DGs, BNT, female betta, ghost shrimp, and mystery snail.

did you by chance check your filter intake or behind it? and just a reminder, ADF(ACF) are social creatures and enjoy the company of others. I have 6 along with my DGs, BNT, female betta, ghost shrimp, and mystery snail.
Interesting, please would you say me what DGs and BNT does mean? (I have got two of the ADF in 20L tank with neocaridina and melanoides, since years, I can hear them "sing"). Everywhere there is going to be warnings not to have a little hole somewhere at the top of your aquarium, othewise they will probably escape (for little holes you should take perlon wadding to stuff them). As the friend said, perhaps this is not a good idea to have them together with these fish.

Reactions: nls
DG = dwarf gourami
I don't know what BNT is. BN is bristlenose, BNP is bristlenose plec, but BNT?

Interesting, please would you say me what DGs and BNT does mean? (I have got two of the ADF in 20L tank with neocaridina and melanoides, since years, I can hear them "sing"). Everywhere there is going to be warnings not to have a little hole somewhere at the top of your aquarium, othewise they will probably escape (for little holes you should take perlon wadding to stuff them). As the friend said, perhaps this is not a good idea to have them together with these fish.
BNT stands for Black Neon Tetra. sorry for the confusion.

Hi guys

We recently brought an African clawed frog and he is quite small. We released him into our tank on Sunday and we havenā€™t seen him since. We have a tight lid on our tank and Iā€™ve looked everywhere around the tank just incase he somehow got out but canā€™t find him.
Iā€™ve also cleaned my filter out and heā€™s not in there and Iā€™ve gone around my tank with my net seeing if anything will move and still no sign.

I know they need to come up for air aswell and not me or my partner have ever seen him do this.

I have no idea where heā€™s gone :( any ideas?
out of curiosity, did you ever find him?

Reactions: nls
out of curiosity, did you ever find him?
Yes! We found him idk where he was but he was out and about one night. We have now moved him into our fry tank as the fry we have are big and he is still very tiny at the moment. Once he was grown we will put him back into our community tank. :)

We recently brought an African clawed frog
Can I check that it really is an African clawed frog and not an African dwarf frog? Clawed frogs grow quite large and will eat small fish. The red fin shark may be too big, but maybe not.

Can I check that it really is an African clawed frog and not an African dwarf frog? Clawed frogs grow quite large and will eat small fish. The red fin shark may be too big, but maybe not.

Well when we brought him we were told he was an African clawed frog but Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll post a photo he is very very small at the moment but we are more than happy to get him his own tank if we have to. The second photo is from when he was in our community tank.

Attachments

• 9FFC5873-5B6C-43B8-92CF-F0B95F5D9BC5.png
    9FFC5873-5B6C-43B8-92CF-F0B95F5D9BC5.png
    402.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 1C6D90BD-B7BD-482D-BDAC-1570E5CAE143.png
    1C6D90BD-B7BD-482D-BDAC-1570E5CAE143.png
    334.4 KB · Views: 54

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back