Misen Carbon Steel Pan

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oblio

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Just arrived on the front porch!

I've never owned a carbon Steel pan, and am very excited. Currently seasoning.

So seasoning took a bit longer than expected, but I wanted to get it right. Cooked some shrimp fajitas and was fairly non-stick, which will of course improve with use. From what I can tell, this is a very high quality item.

How did you season the pan?
Is it a frying pan or a wok?

Carbon steel is just steel mixed with carbon to produce a stronger type of steel. They use carbon steel to make Samurai swords.

How did you season the pan?
Is it a frying pan or a wok?

Carbon steel is just steel mixed with carbon to produce a stronger type of steel. They use carbon steel to make Samurai swords.
10" Frying pan, it's awesome.
Seasoned with coconut oil.

Basically put a light film on it, wipe to nearly dry, heat med-high to light smoke, let cool, Repeat about 6 to 8 times.

cool :)

did you have the doors and windows open when smoking it?
or did the smoke alarm go nuts :)

now make sure nobody washes it with soapy water or in the dishwasher :)

cool :)

did you have the doors and windows open when smoking it?
or did the smoke alarm go nuts :)

now make sure nobody washes it with soapy water or in the dishwasher :)
Nah, not too much smoke. I'm used to watching to make sure my cast iron pans don't get the same fate :D

The last time someone seasoned a wok in my place, the smoke alarm went nuts and the neighbours called the fire department :)

It was good to know the neighbours were on the ball but the fire department wasn't needed. They all had a good chuckle when they found out it was a burnt wok :)

Cooked a 10 oz sirloin last night and it did an excellent job. As recommended by the manufacturer while breaking it in, I used plenty of oil (actually Ghee) while cooking. At the final finishing (to 128 deg F with a Thermapen) and basting with Ghee, I added some seasoning which did burn and stick a bit but came off without too much scrubbing. I had a similar result with bacon this AM. Any burnt bits came clean with light scrubbing with a foam pad similar to a filter sponge. Fried egg in a bit of bacon grease was nearly non-stick.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back