Minor Case Of Suspected Fin Rot

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bunchbro84

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello,
yesterday i noticed that my DG a little of what seems to be upon investigation, fin rot. This is a very minor case and i am wondering if i can help without using any medication. My water parameters (as of this moring) were

Ammonia: .25

Nitrate: 0

Nitrite:0

Anything that you can tell me that can help will be fine.

Is your tank cycled? How did you cycle your tank?

Do you have a quarantine tank? If you do, I recommend that you place him in there, and then do daily water changes of at least 50%. Clean water is one of the best treatments for fin rot!

How long has your tank been set up? What are the dimensions? Tankmates? How was it cycled?

I do not have a quarantine, the tank is a ten gallon and his mates are 3 kuhli loaches and 1 adf. I had planned on getting a bigger tank but have not been able to. Tank was cycled using fish but 2 weeks ago power went out and biomedia was dried out. I have medication but am afraid if I use it the loaches will die. Tank has been set up for about 3 months

New info on this topic:

The gourami seems to have a small patch near where the dorsal fin meets the body on the top of its back. I have not been able to identify it and am a little worried. Help needed please.

It's really hard to tell, what kind of tests do you use ?

The best thing would be to do daily water changes of at least 75%, this should hopefully heal up the fin rot as well as the patch on the gouramis back.

Do you have a heater in the tank? You will want to keep the water around 79 F, to help your fish's immune-system. I'd soak their food in some garlic juice, for the same reason and do daily water changes like Blondie already mentioned. Keeping those ammonia levels as low as possible and living in pristine water will help in the healing process.

There are meds on the market to treat fin rot, but dechlorinated fresh water alone is just as effective. Especially for Anabantids like Gourami and Bettas you have to be careful with meds that contain oily substances. These can coat the labyrinth organ making it difficult for the fish to use this form of breathing.

Most reactions

trending

Back