Minnows In A 50gal Pond? Where To Get Licence?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The simple answer is that they don't really happily live in a 50 gallon barrel. Goldfish are one of the messiest fish around so if you think how much mess one produces per day (don't know exactly how much) and then think about how small a space you're going to put it in even in a 50 gallon tank you're looking at at least weekly water changes to make sure its healthy. Also don't forget that goldfish live a long time if cared for properly and can reach sizes in excess of a foot so even if you start them off in a 50 gallon they will need to move.

Have a look at this topic written by the wolf its got a lot of information about goldfish (apologies if you already have)

Oooooooh that's something I never took into account.
Water changes....*hits head*.
And I also kind of forgot about the eventual size TBH... :rolleyes: .
Can't blame me for trying, I just really like goldfish (no so much the fancy varieties) but cant set up an indoor tank for them.... so looks like it was just not meant to be:(.
I feel stupid now for thinking about it.

So...questions remain :hyper: .
Since the pond doesn't freeze over completely during the winter, would some small fish be OK? If so....
Anyone know about the licence for rosy reds?
Or is there anywhere I can buy native fish? (or is it legal to take them from a canal or somewhere?)

I would prefer rosy reds though since I think they look good.

Lol. I'm not sure about keeping smaller fish in there but I'd be wary about taking fish from the wild and putting them in a pond. They thrive so well in the wild because they have a lot of space and in many cases when fish are taken from the wild they don't do so well and often end up dead. Tokis is probably the best one to ask about that as when this came up last she seemed to know quite a bit.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back