Minnnt's South American Puffer Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Looking good.

More pics of the new puffers I hope :hyper: I agree with Ians comment, will add a bit more balance. I like the vallis tho, helferi can be a bit of a pain to grow... Needs co2 from my experience.

:good:

2 new Puffers added. All doing fine. Noticed that the new wood is producing some white sminge :blink: and appears to leaving a film on the surface. May take it out tomorrow and give it a good scrub along with a water change to keep the filter happy.

Starting to worry now about my Pogostemon. I doubt the light will be good enough to keep it happy and probably the lack of co2 will ruin it. :/

Any thoughts?

Hmmm, this was my worry. :rolleyes: may have to replace it with christmas moss then.

Thoughts?

Christmas moss would work well, just tie it on and let it do it's thing. Love Christmas moss, so easy.

2 new Puffers added. All doing fine. Noticed that the new wood is producing some white sminge :blink: and appears to leaving a film on the surface. May take it out tomorrow and give it a good scrub along with a water change to keep the filter happy.

Starting to worry now about my Pogostemon. I doubt the light will be good enough to keep it happy and probably the lack of co2 will ruin it. :/

Any thoughts?

My thoughts would be yeah, probably. I tried it in my low tech last year and it didn't last long. Might work for you though so I'd at least give it chance.

Very nice tank by the way :good:

Yeah i will do. How soon will i notice it going wrong? Not fussed about it growing or spreading, just don't want it looking sickly.

If it does then i will use Weeping or Christmas Moss tied to some slate. At least i know that will grow under my light.

Yeah i will do. How soon will i notice it going wrong? Not fussed about it growing or spreading, just don't want it looking sickly.

If it does then i will use Weeping or Christmas Moss tied to some slate. At least i know that will grow under my light.

I think mine lasted about a month before I gave up on it. Mine kind of shrivelled.

:sad:

lol. Arh well, if it does at least i could probably cover the whole of the front of the tank with moss. Instant carpet :lol:

Mine is currently growing, albeit slowly, in a low tech fluval ebi (thanks PFK). Mind you it's only low tech because I haven't got the splitter for the co2 system sorted out yet.

Thanks for the info rob. I will give it a chance for a month I guess. It does look great though. If I didn't have the vallis then I would dose carbon, but not sure I would need to with the low light.

What would be an ideal power light for this tank? Its about 19g I think? Would a 24w tube be too much?

I have a 30x15x12 with 2 24w T5's over it, but it has ferts and pressurised co2.

Woooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooo!! :yahoo:

:thanks:

APS filter is erm... probably more suited to a nano? :ninja: Flow is pants tbh, had to use half of the spray bar as with 2 there was no real flow at all. I have some ammonia remover bags in there, so i may have to remove them once the filter has built up some bacteria. I seeded it with media from my 305 so should be fine anyway. Should have gone for the 1400 really. Never mind. The filter itself is great. Very neat and tidy little thing, just the flow that lets it down. May rearrange the media a little to a similar order to a TetraTEC and see if that helps any.

Could do with another pot of Pogostemon and some more Lilaeopsis to add to the effect (which seems hard to find!) and maybe some different types of stems just to jazz it up a little. Will hopefully be adding 2 more Puffers on Thursday evening. :)

Hi Kelly, missed your comment. No it isn't Limpopo. I use that in my other tanks though. This is Unipac Black 2-3mm gravel. I believe it is actually artificial, but it looks absolutely fantastic in the tank. Really makes the plants pop.

Great Tank Minnnt, They Sell Lilaeopsis (brasiliensis) at my LFS pal if you want me to swing by and pick you some up pal? Nice and healthy too, just planted some the other day mate. Think it was £4 for the pot!
Let me know mate

Hey phil, cheers! I've got 1 more lfs to try and if they don't have any I will take you up on your offer.

Looking cute mate, love puffers, they seem to have a personality :) here's a link to a vid of my old GSP's, do miss them but sooooooooo messy lol.

Clicky :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back