Minimum Tank Length For Danios?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

What do you think is the absolute minimum tank length for a school of Danios?

• 1 foot (30cm)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 1/2 foot (45cm)

• 2 foot (60cm)

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • 2 1/2 foot (75cm)

• 3 foot (90cm)

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • 3 1/2 foot (105cm)

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • 4 foot (120cm)

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what you would classify the absolute minimum tank length for a school (8+) of Zebra Danios. 
The tank would be 30cm deep and 30-40cm high.

:thanks:

Some people say that you can get away with a 3', but that is it exactly, it's "getting away with it". For me, 4' is the minimum.

As per TLM, you can "get away" with a 3 foot tank but they'd be much happier in a 4 foot tank and above.

I personally would say 3ft. I remember how long my 3ft was and I know how big Zebra Danio's get and how active they are. This is a poll for the minimum and in my mind 3ft is the minimum. 4ft will always be better though.

Now, if you'd been on about Celestial Pearl Danio's(Galaxy Rasboras) I'd have said 2ft minimum as they aren't as active and big as Zebra Danio's :)

Paradise3 said:
I personally would say 3ft. I remember how long my 3ft was and I know how big Zebra Danio's get and how active they are. This is a poll for the minimum and in my mind 3ft is the minimum. 4ft will always be better though.

Now, if you'd been on about Celestial Pearl Danio's(Galaxy Rasboras) I'd have said 2ft minimum as they aren't as active and big as Zebra Danio's
smile.png

CPDs will happily live in much smaller than a 2', IMO.

the_lock_man said:

Now, if you'd been on about Celestial Pearl Danio's(Galaxy Rasboras) I'd have said 2ft minimum as they aren't as active and big as Zebra Danio's
smile.png

CPDs will happily live in much smaller than a 2', IMO.

Would they? I've always heard that 2ft is the bare minimum as they are still danio's and still need space to swim lol. I was thinking of getting a group for my tank, how many do you think would work in there? The link is in my signature. I've decided against the Emerald Eye Rasboras that I was going to get originally.

3ft and put a powerhead in to give them something to swim against.

Depends what you mean by absolute minimum. They can survive in a 2ft. That doesn't mean to say that they will thrive though.
3ft would be the MINIMUM in my eyes but obviously bigger Is almost always better.

wrightt3 said:
Depends what you mean by absolute minimum. They can survive in a 2ft. That doesn't mean to say that they will thrive though.
3ft would be the MINIMUM in my eyes but obviously bigger Is almost always better.

See my thoughts exactly. Going by bare minimum I'd say 3ft like I have but bigger is always better as I mentioned :)

I'm in the 3' camp. I think it depends on flow and auqascape.

Paradise3 said:
smile.png

The thing about that suggestion is that this tank has to be for Zebra Danios :/ The reason is that I already have two Danios in a 5G (bad LFS advice)

So, 3 foot is about the minimum, I've been trying for a 4 foot but due to lack of space it would have to wait until I moved house (no idea when that would be).

I'll try for what I can.

Blondielovesfish said:

smile.png

The thing about that suggestion is that this tank has to be for Zebra Danios
confused.gif
The reason is that I already have two Danios in a 5G (bad LFS advice)

So, 3 foot is about the minimum, I've been trying for a 4 foot but due to lack of space it would have to wait until I moved house (no idea when that would be).

I'll try for what I can.

Is returning the 2 Danios to your LFS an option? Then you can get a nice shoal of something that will be 100% happy in a 3 footer

IDK, it sounds stupid but I have kind of become attached to the Danios.
I'll rehome them if I can't get the tank, thats sort of my last option though :/

Blondielovesfish said:

smile.png

The thing about that suggestion is that this tank has to be for Zebra Danios
confused.gif
The reason is that I already have two Danios in a 5G (bad LFS advice)

I know :) I was just saying that there are smaller danio's for people who don't own a 3ft tank and want danio's. Just in case someone reads this and thinks "Oh... Well I want danio's but don't have a 3ft tank...." 

It's also worth pointing out that there is a danger in having this sort of question as a poll. Just because people choose an option doesn't mean its right! E..g. This poll has 8 people saying 3 1/2 foot and under and 7 saying 4 foot. Arguably you've got 8 with the other so its 8 v 8. what does that tell you?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back