Minimum Surface Area For A School Of Corydoras

r.w.girard

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Two questions.  I would like to get a small school of 6 C. adolfoi or similar and I was wondering, firstly, how much surface area they would need for themselves.  The plan would be to house them in a 30" x 12" with a breeding pair of Mikrogeophagus altispinosus.  Meaning, I am sure that there is "enough space" for them in the tank, I just wonder if there is once one takes into consideration the rams.  Secondly, how much open space would a little school of adolfos need? The tank is currently densely planted, another factor that would need to be taken into account.

My thanks in advance.

Photo?

Something you might want to consider if you do get the cory is to make a cave or two for them to hide away from the rams if necessary. 

My first instinct would be to say yes they could be fine, but as This Old Spouse has said a photo would help. Caves are a great idea, and I think the heavily planted would help with this, but if you add them make sure they have a lot of hiding places.

I guess you could always say though, if your cory's were having to hide, the tank mates that they are housed with are not suitable.... but somewhere for them to find shelter is never a bad thing
wink.png

To the OP, ive had rams many times with cory's and 90% of the time they leave each other alone, the only problems I did encounter was when there rams had eggs/fry, they got a little aggressive once they came close but they were fine again once they moved off to another part of the tank.

Your footprint is fine for the group you want, you just need to consider the other factors now, substrate, temperature etc.

JenCliBee said:
I guess you could always say though, if your cory's were having to hide, the tank mates that they are housed with are not suitable.... but somewhere for them to find shelter is never a bad thing
wink.png

To the OP, ive had rams many times with cory's and 90% of the time they leave each other alone, the only problems I did encounter was when there rams had eggs/fry, they got a little aggressive once they came close but they were fine again once they moved off to another part of the tank.

Your footprint is fine for the group you want, you just need to consider the other factors now, substrate, temperature etc.

I have a tank full of nothing but cory, and they still likes their caves. It's just their nature.

JenCliBee said:
wink.png

In all fairness i didn't say they wouldn't hence the highlighted section...... but infact there natural behaviour is hanging around in shoals of thousands and if intimidated/scared/threatened they will go and hide.

Tank behaviour on the other hand encourages them to feel far more intimidated more often due to there much lower numbers, hence again why I wrote and highlighted that section
wink.png

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back