Mini Reef Tank Help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

thelaw

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hello i have a few quick questions for stoking a 10 gallon tank with a mini reef. can i fit two Ocellaris Clownfish a Clown Goby two Neon Pineapple Tree Coral two Sexy Anemone Shrimp and one or two Porcelain Crabs. this is my first time ever wanting to do a salt water aquarium so tips will help to. like what filter to use. food to feed. and how much salt per gallon of water. and can i use unionized salt that i could just buy at food lion or something like that. thanks for the help.
biggrin.png

thelaw said:
hello i have a few quick questions for stoking a 10 gallon tank with a mini reef. can i fit two Ocellaris Clownfish a Clown Goby two Neon Pineapple Tree Coral two Sexy Anemone Shrimp and one or two Porcelain Crabs. this is my first time ever wanting to do a salt water aquarium so tips will help to. like what filter to use. food to feed. and how much salt per gallon of water. and can i use unionized salt that i could just buy at food lion or something like that. thanks for the help.
biggrin.png

I would advise against continuing down this path until you've done a lot more research.

Nano reefs are challenging and time consuming. While some clowns can fit in a 10, it's a techy subject and generally not recommended. 2 is a definite no. Not sure what a neon pineapple tree coral is but if you plan on keeping a reef, be ready for lots of testing and supplements! There are other shrimp that would be better suited for your tank!

A clown goby is a good fish for the tank. It would pair well with a pistol shrimp. 
Live rock is used for bacterial filtration in saltwater tanks.

You should consider a protein skimmer. An HOB filter may be used as a refrugium,

You will need both 10k and actinic light.

I buy premixed saltwater to avoid mixing my own. You will need specific salt for marine water, not food salt.

You should go join nano reef, I've have kept two clownfish in a ten gallon. They are hardy fish, you need to buy salt made for saltwater tanks. I wouldn't keep more than two fish in a ten gallon though. You can use a aquaclear filter, as to how much salt you should use different salt brands have different salt. You'll have to buy live rock and live sand, and let it cycle like any other tanks. You need to buy expensive lights, if you want to keep coral. If your just keeping fish then light doesn't matter. 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back